Sign in to follow this  

this is a long shot but...

I found a thread a week or two ago somewhere on the internet of somebody with the same muffler as me, repairing it by cutting off the rusted part at the end, and welding another cut off muffler in the same place, joining the two together. I am trying to do this and I cant remember where I found it. Any chance somebody knows what Im talking about and could send me a link? :bonk:

It was for an XL250S and I dont remember what year it was...

maybe a thread by dorkpunch?

I don't see why you can't cut out the bad section and weld in new stuff. Ask a sheet metal shop, you'll probably be able to get it done cheaper and faster with zero headache other than having to paint it and repack it.

Also, you can build your own muffler from muffler packing, gutter guard, automotive exhaust pipe (try to find thinner wall stuff) and fender washers (easier than cutting circles out of 14 ga. steel). You don't sound like you're trying to do this on the cheap, but that's another route you could take. If you're creative, you can make it look identical to the factory piece. You could even make it from stainless steel and it'll never rot.

Here's the thread I put together, this is written as if you're replacing just the guts of the silencer, but there wouldn't be much more involved if you're starting from scratch.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784005

Unfortunately, the server where those images are hosted is on the fritz and I simply haven't had time to fix it.

So here's a couple of the photos:

DSC01661.jpg

My raw materials, purchased for $17 give or take.

DSC01690.JPG

The rudimentary spark arrester.

DSC01696.JPG

The newly created silencer core vs. the stock piece. The reason it's shorter is because in the muffler housing on this bike, there is a smaller diameter chamber at the inlet. You would want your piece to run the full length if you can.

DSC01698.JPG

The packed insert ready. Just stuff it in and go.

OK so I know Dorkpunch from Advrider. He is pretty active there, you may be referring to this thread - I did not read through it but if you cannot find what you need there is a search function that lets you read through all of someones threads. You have to be a member but it is free.

Good luck.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424841&highlight=dorkpunch

OK so I know Dorkpunch from Advrider. He is pretty active there, you may be referring to this thread - I did not read through it but if you cannot find what you need there is a search function that lets you read through all of someones threads. You have to be a member but it is free.

Good luck.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424841&highlight=dorkpunch

I literally just went through every page of that thread. That wasn't the thread but I think it may have been from that site. Thank you for that help though, tell dork punch to log into his TT account, I sent him a PM like a week ago or something hahah

I would toss it and start over again using stainless tubing purchased from Classic Tube (buy their J-bend in the diameter of the inlet) cut and tack weld up a nice clean mandrel bend looking piece, then bring that to the local sheet metal fabricator and ask them to finish the welds. (I have neither stainless-able welder and occasionally have one 'OOPS!' too many).

However, you seem like you want to keep the factory look, so, measure from the point where you think the exhaust is supposed to end, then head down to the local sheet metal fabricator and say (I need you to repair this, it's supposed to be 5 inches longer from this point I drew on the pipe and please keep the mounting point where it is. You can cut it off and weld a new tab on if you need to. I can re-drill the hole if it'll get it done faster or cheaper.