gastank appearance question

I am working on my old 2 stroke ('99) ---

mechanically, its tip top. Suspension is current - recent top end, etc. --- it is just under utilized -- so i am finally starting on a "trail bike conversion" for a winter project

I'm mainly just adding a Q spark arrestor to quiet it down a bit and doing a cosmetic rebuild (powdercoat , new plastics/graphics, etc) -- and the tank is kinda an ugly sight ---- it appears to be turning darker than the rest of the blue plastic

Any "quick fix" to somewhat bring it back into shape?

not sure if the pic below adequately shows it or not --- but i have seen some YZ's running around with dark blue tanks --- as OCD as this forum's members are, i figured someone would have dealt with this before :bonk:

022.jpg

Is it true that fuel can 'seep' thru the tank? I have a 91 that has a yellowish tank and that is what i was told. Personally i dont believe it, but it is 20 years old. So far i have found nothing to lighten it up.

I rode Yamaha's in the late 80's and early 90's --- those white tanks would start to turn yellow within a year or two back then

I remember racing an '88 125 for 2 years --- it really looked embarassing by the time i sold it

Odds are the tank is from a 96 or 97. Both were blue, but were the dark blue like the tank on your bike. I have several old tanks in the garage and none of them went dark.

Good call --- i didnt take possesion of this bike until '02 --- who knows what kind of action these bikes can see in 3 years

---- since yellow plastic for these is a crapshoot --- maybe a perfect time to re-visit the Euro white/red look (a'la Lumpy790's bike)

thankfully Clark still makes every color in the Yamaha rainbow -

Fast orange hand cleaner, drill with scotchbrite pad attachment (drill isnt needed), and a heat gun/hair dryer for scratches/creases.

That would work for cleaning up a nasty looking yellowed clear tank?

Doing a total rebuild of my bike right now, so want to pretty the thing up a bit.

Wait, I have a slightly yellowing tank on my 98 cr250 and some of the hand cleaner. What exactly is the method with the cleaner, scotch bright pad, and heat gun? I got a little confused when you threw the heat gun in there but if you could please explain a little more it would help me alot as I haven't heard any other remedies for a yellowing tank! Thanks!

The 96-97 blue was strange. It mostly matches the color that appeared later, but its darker.
So true.

The '96-'97 blue was a darker (Navy) blue, while the later bikes were closer to Royal blue.

Over time, the tanks on the '96-'97 bikes would turn almost black, and the tanks on the '98 & up bikes start looking Navy blue. :bonk:

For all discolored tanks, try Mr.Clean Magic Eraser. Worked well on my friend's white-tank CR.

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

Good luck!