Sign in to follow this  

450X with 450R wiring Harness

I love simplicity and I want to strip down a 2008 450X as much as possible. I'd even like to ditch the electric start. Is it possible to remove everything and run the bike with an R wiring harness?

If it will work then I think this will be a whole lot cheaper and more simple than trying to make an R into a woods bike.

It might work, if you change the stator as well. Otherwise I don't think so. Question is Why? You can lighten the bike up pretty good. Start with a Shorai battery, remove all lights, replace stock muffler, Tubliss... Plus many more. Krannie just did this with pretty cool results!

I love simplicity and I want to strip down a 2008 450X as much as possible. I'd even like to ditch the electric start. Is it possible to remove everything and run the bike with an R wiring harness?

If it will work then I think this will be a whole lot cheaper and more simple than trying to make an R into a woods bike.

No you can't use the R harness. Do a search I think theres a manufacturer out there that does race harnesses or quick disconnect harnesses.

You don't need to change the harness to remove the accessories. Just unplug them. If you use an R anything, you have to use the R CDI, ECU, harness and stator.

Ok thanks for the info. I know it's not totaly rational, but I don't like having all those extra wires all over the place. I could live with just unplugging everything though.

What about an mx front number plate? It seems like a magazine said that it was hard to get one to fit.

BTW i'm thinking about this because after years of riding KTMs in the woods, I've discovered that I like the way the CRFs handle way better.

Ok thanks for the info. I know it's not totaly rational, but I don't like having all those extra wires all over the place. I could live with just unplugging everything though.

What about an mx front number plate? It seems like a magazine said that it was hard to get one to fit.

BTW i'm thinking about this because after years of riding KTMs in the woods, I've discovered that I like the way the CRFs handle way better.

I like this guy.

Thanks! I think the CRFs have incredible stability but still turn great, especially in berms. The KTMs on the other hand are more simple and easy to work on. Also, my MX bike is a 2006 CRF450R, so I might make the switch. I'm sure a brand new KTM would be great, but that's out of my budget.

Its kind of expensive, but I run some Ride Engineering triple clamps. That way I can bolt up an R number plate for 99% of my riding. When I need the light I can bolt on an adapter that I whittled out of some aluminum. Basically a copy of the Applied Racing adapter kit for their triples. If you do this you will loose your odometer though. For me it wasn't a big deal because my milage is tracked by a gps I keep in my Camel Back.

Another added bonus is that you can run the 20mm offset which I feel greatly improves the bike.

Im spoiled by the button so I will never get rid of it. The Shori battery has been incredible though and is freakishly light... almost like one of the fake cell phones that they keep on display with no guts. The battery case literally feels empty. I had a battery failure 1/3 of the way down the baja peninsula and had to kick my bike all the way to Cabo. It sucked... viva the button! (it was an expensive OEM too).

You know, getting an R CDI, stator, and harness doesn't sound like that big of a pain in the butt. I could remove all the X wiring and accesories, put them in a box, and have the R stuff on in an afternoon. With a flywheel weight the bike would still run like an X

Later when I sell the bike, all that stuff is still pretty and fresh looking. It will go back on in two afternoons.

I know lots of people are thinking "just buy an R", but if I did that I'd have to get the suspension revalved, flywheel weight, spark arrestor and still would be missing the more flexible x-chassis and wide ratio gear box. Plus that would be boring and normal!

You can still do quite a bit to simplify.

Move the CDI unit to the front of the bike. That requires some wire harness re-routing. I did that as part of swapping the airbox, subframe and rear plastics for R version, seems to work fine so far.

Ditch starter wiring, battery, starter relay, starter button. They're surprisingly bulky and heavy.

Front number plate, I personally don't understand why all the fuss - just cut two small slits in the bottom of any MX plate, run some industrial zip-ties over the edges of the plate around the fork tubes by the lower triple, done.

I'm told not to disconnect the rectifier since without it the light coil will fry itself, needs some load to blow off the power.

You'll end up with the damn regulator/rectifier hanging around, and two plugs one for the headlight the other for the starter relay. Not that much more than on the R bike actually.