Sign in to follow this  

250 or 450?

Hey guys, I am 16 years old, and looking for a 250 four stroke or 450 four stroke MX bike. I am 5 foot 4 inches tall (long legs though... I can tip toe a CR250 2 stroke), I have a good amount of strength, I can pick up my 300 pound vintage enduro bike fine. Kick starting is my biggest worry so auto decomp. is a must on the track. Trails have rocks and trees to lean on though. I will be riding a good amount of ATV size trails but I will also be in open areas and tracks. My question is, do you think a 250F would be better than a 450F for me? It has to be Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki because Yamahas sit wayyy taller than the rest (almost 3 inches taller!) and thats out of the question :bonk:

Unless your absolutely in need of the extra power from a 450, a 250 would be my opinion for you. Their still powerful beasts and you will get the most out of the 250 because it'll be easier to handle. plus a 250 will be easier to kick over. Nothing worse than being exhausted and having to kick over a big bike that just does not want to start.

I do have to say that I am no professional but simply basing this information off of what hundreds of experienced people told me when I was in the same scenario, and now also personal experience.

I'm 5'11, 22 years old, and about 160lbs. I have been riding cr80's and a kx125 since I was 8 and just recently purchased an 07 rmz250 after going through the long debate of 250 vs. 450. After a bunch of research and now personal experience like the guy above me, the 250 is plenty of bike. I haven't been to the track yet, but my backyard is an endless amount of desert trails and I got about 13 hours on my bike since I've had it, and I feel confident when I say the 250 was the way to go.

I don't know if you are looking new or if your budget allows, but if it does I'd suggest having a hard look at a KTM 250 XC-f. It has the magic button, so kick starting isn't a worry. Can be used on the track, particularly by lighter guys and is still a great off-road bike for when you hit the trails. If you want a pure MX bike the KTM 250SX-f is eletric start. (once you go button, you don't go back)

Why do you want a 4 stroke if you're a smaller guy? It'd seem that the lighter weight of a 2 stroke would be of particular benefit to you.

why not either get a xcf-w 350, that way you can have a bike thats not so beastly as a 450, but you wont get bored of it like you would a 250, or if you want a bit more balls thats lighter get a 250 2 stroke mx bike

If your are looking for a bike for both tracks and trails,the KTM XC-Fs and Husky's TXC line are designed with that in mind and if you decide you want something in between a 250 and 450, KTM has the earlier mentioned 350 and Husky has a 310 model. They are currently doing some major discounts on new 2011 Huskys, which are already cheaper than KTMs. I personally love my TXC250, and although I ride 100% trails I don't find myself wanting any more power.

Hey guys, I am 16 years old, and looking for a 250 four stroke or 450 four stroke MX bike. I am 5 foot 4 inches tall (long legs though... I can tip toe a CR250 2 stroke), I have a good amount of strength, I can pick up my 300 pound vintage enduro bike fine. Kick starting is my biggest worry so auto decomp. is a must on the track. Trails have rocks and trees to lean on though. I will be riding a good amount of ATV size trails but I will also be in open areas and tracks. My question is, do you think a 250F would be better than a 450F for me? It has to be Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki because Yamahas sit wayyy taller than the rest (almost 3 inches taller!) and thats out of the question :bonk:

Is it possible for you to get a ride on both bikes before you buy.??...100 guys can tell you what they think, but it's only their opinions.....

You are the one that needs to form your own opinion ...

So my advice is to ride both to see how they feel....

I would get the 250 to start with and later move up to 450 if you feel that you need more power.