I'm thinking XRL

Hi, new to the forum and possibly looking at getting a mid 2000's XR650L. Was building another bike, but I have since changed my mind on what I want to do after some serious time in my Jeep and think I will be in the market some time early-late summer for my new to me ride. I rode a Triumph Tiger for about 4 years and liked it, but i think the adventure touring bikes are abit big and boring for my taste. I was brought up on dirt bikes and feel that's where I'm at home at. I'm 6'2 180ish pounds, and have a 34 for pants length.

I looked at an XR650L today at the dealer and I believe that's where I'm at. I saw a DRZ400 too, but I like the XRL overall from the looks, grahpics, color, everything so far. I was always mystified at XR600's when I was a kid racing my RM80 at hare scrambles in the mid 90's.

Are there any models to avoid or anything to be on the look out for?

thats the only reason why, and ive also heard that they come from the factory too lean and need to be made richer and it will make a significant difference in heat. and if you get a new silencer make sure it will be quiet enough to be put on the road, maybe a supertrap or something along those lines.

they run a bit hot and burn a bit of oil but as long as you check it once in a while youll be ok. the motors are great, all you need to do is get the carb jetted. great d/s bikes especally for open faster trails and their not to bad on the highway. if you plan on riding mostly trails and not much highway get the drz

You've picked the right bike. They're battle proven tough and reliable and have the suspension and ground clearance that truly make these bikes off-road performers.

I wish I could take you to some of the places I've been to see what this bike can handle. The suspension eats up huge bumps in rapid succession while keeping everything under control. In one instance I misjudged speed for a sudden curve on the trail and ended up doing about 30mph through bulldozer blade turnings that were completely hidden by tall grass. Most other dual sports would have pitched off in whatever direction after the first two or three of these massive humps. The XR absorbed these monsters beautifully and I made it back to the trail instead of into the swamp that was just a short bounce away. I stopped and walked back over what I had just ridden over and was dumbfounded at how tall and rough those turnings were. I would never had deliberately tried to ride over them at the speed I was travelling.

The engine is a dry sump design which gives you even more precious ground clearance.

The fact that this bike has an aircooled engine and a carb are why I chose this bike. Its simple, less complication means less chance of problems in the boonies, especially when tree branches are everywhere and rocks are flying.

These bikes are not really oil burners, but a lot of people have difficulty establishing the correct oil level. This is mainly due to the fact that it is a dry sump design and the engine can fool you at times, depending on the oil temperature. Best to check oil level immediately after a long run when the oil temp is still up. When refilling after a change, add a quart (liter) and run the engine for a few seconds and then gradually add another half-quart with short runs in between. Then take the bike out for a short ride and do the final top up.

The bikes come very lean from the factory. Re-jetting is a must, but very easy to do. Just do "Dave's mods" as outlined on the XR600/XR650 forum and you'll be good to go.

Congrats, the XR650L is the real deal when it comes to dual sport motorcycles.

the supsension is good and they have alot of ground clearence. mine burned a bit of oil, not much but others i know with the same bike reported the same thing, especally on highway rides. its not a problem though, just add a drop here and there. i bought a 05 new. their great bikes.

but I like the XRL overall from the looks, grahpics, color, everything so far.

Is looks what is most important to you? If so, you're found your bike.

Otherwise you might do some research and see how the various dual-sport options suit your intended type of riding.

Since you don't state what you'll use the bike for, nobody can give you meaningful advice, other than to confirm that the XR650L is a good, reliable bike, which it is.

i owned one an 07 and it was fine at first but as i rode it faster and faster off-road it was too heavy and scary actually at high speeds so i sold it and now got a plated wr400 and so far im happy now with a lighter ,better suspended bike. really hope honda updates this bike to a more modern version [like a crfx] good luck in your quest....

oops, I will be using the bike on pretty much all flat surfaces and sand, sounds boring but it's all flat in South Texas. I have beaches to ride on and some flat farm roads. Looking forward to getting out and doing some exploring this summer. My friend had a DRZ for sale and recommended a WR400, but I think I'm set on the XR, but if any DR650's pop up in the area I'll check them out.

since its flat there an XRL should do you fine. I put a $40 ebay oil cooler on mine.

You read my mind on the cooler. I have been looking at some here and there on various forums.

What should be the price range of the bike I am looking for? I want a 2003-4 or newer and low miles, maybe around 2k or under. I see them on Craigslist for like $3500-4K for anywhere from an 04-07 with low miles.

I saw a 2001 with like 1100 miles on it in Austin for $1300 :bonk:, but it the ad was deleted. And that sucks cause I will be up that way soon. A little early for my schedule, but $1300 is a steal, but the bike did need TLC and valves adjusted. I assume rats nest in airbox, pink fenders, cracked seat vinyl, ect.

You read my mind on the cooler. I have been looking at some here and there on various forums.

What should be the price range of the bike I am looking for? I want a 2003-4 or newer and low miles, maybe around 2k or under. I see them on Craigslist for like $3500-4K for anywhere from an 04-07 with low miles.

I saw a 2001 with like 1100 miles on it in Austin for $1300 ?, but it the ad was deleted. And that sucks cause I will be up that way soon. A little early for my schedule, but $1300 is a steal, but the bike did need TLC and valves adjusted. I assume rats nest in airbox, pink fenders, cracked seat vinyl, ect.

I believe that in texas you can plate a XR650R. Those bikes are the best for sand, besides some of the new 450's and 500 2t's.:bonk:

they really haven't changed since 93, so just find one with low miles or that's been taken well care of. I'd look around the 2k price range and start from there.

be prepared to spend about $1k on mods to get it trail/adventure worthy...

IMG_1498.JPG

if you find a plated XR650R they are a load of fun. Just can't pack as much crap on them (weak subframe).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tuned into craigslist and and Bikefinds as of late. I see there is usually a new XRL listing about every couple weeks.

I like the XRR's and see a few listed here and there that are plated... bit I tend to talk myself into and out of that dilemma.

The XR650L is a great all purpose bike. It's not great at any one thing, but is good at everything. It will go anywhere any other bike will go, and always bring you back home. I love mine, low maintenance, and plenty of power to get you into trouble. The talk you hear of overheating is overblown. Just do Dave's mod, and uncork the bike and you will never have to worry about it. Once you set up the bike for the kind of riding you will be doing, you will understand why there is such a love for the Big Red Pig. I ride mine on everything from tight single track, rocky hillclimbs, back country roads, to extended adventure rides. I just change my gearing for the conditions, and she goes everywhere the high strung MX bikes will go offroad. Maybe not as fast or gracefull, but then again I'm not having to pay for the high maintenance either. If you get one you will not regret your decision.?

pigs003.jpg

320527_1621892483049_1708579091_835067_1708272076_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger on a low mile '07! Now I gotta wait to afford to tag it, lol.

Had it a week and haven't even looked at it with school and all. Has White Bro's E2 exhaust and some renthal bars, got a smog block off kit in the other day and that's about it. I think the bike will offset the payment by being my daily driver to school. Much better gas mileage than a 6 cyl Wrangler as a daily driver.