Sign in to follow this  

Bought a 10 crf 450

I finally found a crf 450 and a 2010.

I have few questions though

Sometimes it takes time to kick start her.. Is there any way i could make it easy ?

When riding trails in dunes, for 15 mins and then i just stop makin her idle it over heats.. Why is that ? Whats the solution ?

Also the old rider was 187lb and the suspension is setup for him and its so cushiony ( not good for jumps and feels heavy ) im a 143lb rider. I jump alot and need to set up the suspension right.. help?

Thanks

The bike over heats because it was never intended to idle at a stand still for more than a minute or two. You need to be moving to push air through the radiators.

for you, Id just have to set the race sag at 105mm and Id bet the rest is pretty dang close. Just open the clickers up.

Did you get an owners book?

When you say open the clickers up, you mean clockwise right ?

Front and rear ?

When I say open them, I mean counter clockwise. What youre turning with the clicker adjustment is a needle into a seat. Screw it in and you block the passageway and force more suspension fluid past the valve stack. Screw it out and that opens the passage allowing fluid to bypass the valve stack and allowing faster or free-er movement of the wheels in relation to the chassis over smaller to medium sized bumps. During a big hit, the clicker circuit is overwhelmed and the majority of the fluid is forced past the valve stack anyway.

So, start with the clickers here:

Fork compression 14 OUT from fully (lightly) bottomed.

Fork Rebound 11 OUT

When you do the shock, do it in this manner.

Back the center of the compression adjuster all the way out. That is the low speed.

Then turn the high speed adjuster (the outside one, around the low speed) all the way in, then back out to 2.5 turns from fully bottomed.

Then turn the center (low speed adjuster) all the way in, then back out to 12 clicks.

Set the rebound on the shock to 12. Give that a couple really good bounces and then set the sag to 110mm.

Then go ride it.

do you know what spring rates the bike has now.all i would do is put the correct spings on then play with the clickers

My kick procedure is kill switch wide open throttle couple of slow kicks. Close throttle Then one big long good follow through from tdc alllll the way.

Also eddies remap helps with starting

Edited by englertracing
close throttle

For kicking just push softly until you feel compression, then let the kicker go all the way back up to the top and give a hard full kick. Should start it first kick when warm within 3 when cold.

I wouldn't touch the throttle at all before or during starting.

on my 2011 I had to add oversized radiators (chinese knockoffs), high pressure radiator cap (outlaw 1.6 bar) and a motion pro overflow catch container + Engine ice.

Before my bike would overheat anytime I rode in the sand. Now, it rarely will spew and only in extreme temperatures.

on my 2011 I had to add oversized radiators (chinese knockoffs), high pressure radiator cap (outlaw 1.6 bar) and a motion pro overflow catch container + Engine ice.

Before my bike would overheat anytime I rode in the sand. Now, it rarely will spew and only in extreme temperatures.

An exhaust that has a reasonable exit hole would help your over heating problem too.

The 2011 exhaust has a stupid little 1" hole in it. Majorly choked up...