Sign in to follow this  

Husqvarna 450te 2008

Hi I'm new to this thread, I have always used this thread to find may info on other bikes I have. I bought a Husqvarna te 450. It runs very well it has 130 hours on it. The only problem im having is the only way i can start the engine is using the manual decompressor. This makes me think the Auto decompressor has some problem.

If i try to start it by foot, its literally impossible to turn the engine, it has too much compression and with the electric starter it hesitates to turn it barley one turn and wont start the engine. Like i said the only way i using the manual decompressor this way the electric starter rotated the engine and when i let go of the lever it turns on perfectly.

Id like to know how the auto decompressor system works since im planing on removing the cam and inspecting it, but first i would like to know what to look for.

Another thing with 130 hours on the engine, i would like to know how much hours do these engine last before they need to be rebuild. I use synthetic oil and change it regularly, What are the common things that need to be changed. I dont stress the engine alot I ride slow and in the mid engine speed. I know 2 strokes require a piston and ring replacement every 100 hours. What about on 4 strokes its my first one? Thanks

I'd check the valve clearence before anything else- if its off too far it will disable your ADC.

ALSO don't kick it without decompression- or you'll cause damage, luckily you have the manual decompression.

I have a 2008 TE 450 too with about 135 hrs and have had thoes problems only when I use the elec starter when the engine is approaching TDC on the compression stroke. As mentioned above, could be valve clearance for the hard starting but kinda sounds like your manual decomp is working the way it should. When my TPS adjustment was off that contributed to hard statring. I also wouldnt rule out a weak battery. Being impossible as you say to kick it is a lillte concerning. I would say mine is difficult to kick if approaching TDC compression stroke.

The auto decomp cam is probably wore out happened allot on 08s easy to fix.

The auto decomp cam is probably wore out happened allot on 08s easy to fix.

Hi, well the battery is new, I actually bought 2 batteries the first one i thought was not strong enough so i bought another new battery and problem persisted i used a car booster pack and till would hesitate to crank.

The manual decompressor works great that why I thought it could be the auto decompressor worn or damaged. I am going to check the valve clearance since the valves are starting to get a bit noisy not much but i know they need to be adjusted.

Turning the motorcycle on using the manual kick is not possible since once the piston gets to tdc it has to much compression. If i press the manual decompressor a little it quickly and easily rotates.

Another thing ive noticed is that even sometimes when i try to start the engine use the manual decompressor, press the starter button and once the engine starts rotating i let go of the manual decompressor usually if cold its starts perfectly but sometimes when i let go of the manual decomp the starter hesitates and rotates the engine so slow it wont turn on ... SO could my problem also be a damaged starter? How could I test it i have the shop manual for 07 model but cant find the shop manual for 08 is the 07 manual good to use for the 08 model.

@ Jason S , Is there any other maintenance besides valve adjustment i have to do to the engine after 130 hours? at what hours of use do i have to replace the piston and ring? also do i need to change the valves? Thanks

today i went ahead and checked the valve clearance. Both exhaust valves were at .008 but on exhaust one was at .006 and the other was at .008 dont know why there is so much difference between those valves. Also i went ahead and checked the decompressor but i really dont see anything wrong with it and when I turn the engine it does its job and opens the exhaust valve but not alot... with the clearances i got should i use bigger shims on exhaust valves? its already maxed out..

• Like 1