Sign in to follow this  

OEM or Hot Rods Crank?

Just bought a 2009 CRF250R that needs quite a bit of motor work, going through it all and wanting to replace the crank as well. Wondering what everyone thought about a Hot Rods crank compared to an OEM crank. I have always been partial to using nothing but OEM parts, but I have heard good things about the Hot Rods crank. Also, do I have to use Hot Rods crank bearings with it, or can you run OEM bearings?

Edited by MotorMan1515
Stupid me, forgot part of my question

If you put the HR and OEM cranks side by side you will see the higher quality finish of the HR crank. I like that the HR rod has the brass bushing in the small end.

as far as durability goes there both about the same. IMO

There's not a lot of difference between the 2. You can use OEM bearings with all the other crankshafts, they're the same.

if you do use the hr crank i suggest using oem crank seals only. I along with others have had problems with the aftermarket seals popping out causing nightmarish problems. Otherwise, have had good luck with crank itself

I have a hotrods crank in my 03 450r & it works just great. Its the 2nd one ive installed actually. I run the hotrods bearings & seals as well & have never had any problems with either. The hotrods 03 crank is called "heavy duty" by hotrods. Not sure if that applies to your year bike or not? I also have run hotrods cranks in other bikes in the past with excellent results.