Sign in to follow this  

How to make the clutch smooth again?

So my clutch lever isn't smooth like it was when I bought the bike, '10 250R. As I slip the lever out, it doesn't come out smooth, kinda like it's binding. I've lubed the cable really well and that didn't fix it. I don't think it's the actually clutch plates, but it might be, I don't know. Maybe it's the lever itself binding with the perch. Any ideas? :bonk:

So my clutch lever isn't smooth like it was when I bought the bike, '10 250R. As I slip the lever out, it doesn't come out smooth, kinda like it's binding. I've lubed the cable really well and that didn't fix it. I don't think it's the actually clutch plates, but it might be, I don't know. Maybe it's the lever itself binding with the perch. Any ideas? :bonk:

Replace the clutch cable, this is a common problem. The clutch cable routing is to close to the exhaust and it fries internally. After you get the new cable put some heat wrap around it where it gets close to the exhaust. That will help but its not a cure for the next time it fails.

The cure is to return to the 09 and earlier routing. The clutch arm will then need to be cut and re-welded into a different position, purchase a new cable bracket and 09 cable.

455 is spot on. goofed Fix it right and be done.

Edited by CRFPOOR
goof

My brother cured this problem when bought a magura system for his bike. I haven't bought one yet, but have had to replace the clutch cable on my bike already (still has the stock brake pads and tires). Replacing the cable cured all the problems I was having.

Did you check the clutch basket for grooving?

I'll second that. I thought I was gonna need a new cable but I checked the basket and there was some MAJOR grooving. I know its not a good permanent fix but if you do have a grooved basket and don't have the money for a good new one, just file it down smooth again. That's what I did and my clutch feels like brand new now.