Sign in to follow this  

California 12/26 Riding?

Who's riding and where on 12/26? Would like to ride that Monday. Anybody got any Dez runs or trail rides planned? Need entertainment? I can help:banana:

I'm hoping to be back and ready to ride on Monday if all works out. Put me down as a definite maybe.

It would be nice but I think I'm going to be on the road that day.

btw Joe I still have that fork leg I promised you. I thought I had given it to you but ran across it the other day. :bonk:

I'm hoping to be back and ready to ride on Monday if all works out. Put me down as a definite maybe.

Will do.

It would be nice but I think I'm going to be on the road that day.

btw Joe I still have that fork leg I promised you. I thought I had given it to you but ran across it the other day. :bonk:

No worries. I think that is a YZ fork leg. I have gone full Orange now I wanted to be like everyone else. I am follower not a leader. Thanks for the kind offer man. Have a good holiday. Hope to see you at the United Enduro:ride:

Yea its a YZ leg.

I haven't been on any kind of real ride since VCMC Qualifier 2010 so I'm not sure if I'm up for any racing yet. I need to go on a ride or two and see. The kid has been keeping me really busy.

Who's riding and where on 12/26? Would like to ride that Monday. Anybody got any Dez runs or trail rides planned? Need entertainment? I can help:banana:

Actually, yes. I think the plan is for Dave and I to go wrap up the final details of the United MC Not-So-Tuff-E-Nuff enduro third loop that day. Heard of it?

It shouldn't be bad. Most of the argueing is already done. He is loop captain this year, not I, so it should be rideable by more people than last year's third loop. So far I have heard the following out of him as I suggest routes:

"Are you f-ing kidding?"

"You smoking something that I am not smelling?"

"Go ahead, I'll stand here and catch you."

"Well, sure it is a downhill, gravity will make sure of that. Not a chance in hell I am finding out."

"No."

Then my favorite, as we had just spent 30-40 minutes walking our bikes down a hill I thought would be a great addition to the loop:

"Remind me why we are still friends, because I am considering changing things unless you have a good reason."

Last year it cost Kevin a set of forks. This year it has already taken out Mo's GPS. All the damage should be done. Oh, I am taking my 9 year old as well. He can keep you company.

United MC Not-So-Tuff-E-Nuff enduro

Now that sounds like my kind of enduro!!!:bonk: What are the dates? I had a blast at the Qualifier in Hungry Valley and was hoping to do at least another race before getting hurt. Hoping to get out to a couple events in 2012

Now that sounds like my kind of enduro!!!:smirk: What are the dates? I had a blast at the Qualifier in Hungry Valley and was hoping to do at least another race before getting hurt. Hoping to get out to a couple events in 2012

LOL don't let the name fool ya Joe. But in all fairness, it's one of the best you'll ever do. JV is awesome and you'll love it.:bonk:

Thanks NP4M

LOL don't let the name fool ya Joe. But in all fairness, it's one of the best you'll ever do. JV is awesome and you'll love it.:bonk:

Any idea how this would compare with the last Gorman Qualifier? I'd like to find somemore races along those lines or maybe a bit more challenging as I've got some got some good seat time in since then. But don't want to be way in over my head. That rockgarden toward the end of the Gorman Qualifier really kicked my ass, I don't know how much worse than that I'd want to sign up for. I notice there are 3 loops are they progressively more difficult, where I could do the first and hopefully the second and if I was pushing my limits on the second loop maybe hold off on loop 3? Can I request to be placed at the end of the pack or would I just wait and sign up at the last minute?

Can you only race one bike per season or would I be able to switch off between my 450 and 2 smoke depending on the race?

Thanks NP4M

Any idea how this would compare with the last Gorman Qualifier? I'd like to find somemore races along those lines or maybe a bit more challenging as I've got some got some good seat time in since then. But don't want to be way in over my head. That rockgarden toward the end of the Gorman Qualifier really kicked my ass, I don't know how much worse than that I'd want to sign up for. I notice there are 3 loops are they progressively more difficult, where I could do the first and hopefully the second and if I was pushing my limits on the second loop maybe hold off on loop 3? Can I request to be placed at the end of the pack or would I just wait and sign up at the last minute?

Can you only race one bike per season or would I be able to switch off between my 450 and 2 smoke depending on the race?

Generally I've found the second loop on the timekeepers to be a bit harder than what's included in VCMC. The heat is the worst part of VCMC for me.

3rd loop is for A & B riders only. C only rides 2 loops.

When you sign up they will put you on the first available minute unless you show up with others you want to ride with. If you don't know anyone who knows how to keep time ask the signup people to put you on a minute with someone who does. Qualifiers you can do okay without any equipment; a timekeeper you need someone to follow at least.

Is this invite open to who ever? I am new to TT and relatively new to riding. My usual riding buddies are not so usual. I need to get out and build my skills.

To expand on what has already been said....

This generally won't compare directly to the Gorman Qualifier. The terrain is much different in the desert, and the format is not the same.

A timekeeping enduro like our event is not a race in the same means as VCMC. They tell you to ride like the wind for 6-8 sections throughout the day, and the one who does it fastest wins. Ours doesn't have designted "race" sections, but they are in there. We set certain speeds in certain places and you need to maintain. Make no mistake, you will be falling way behind in places and dropping points, then looking back saying "I should have recognized it and gone faster!" We will the slow the speeds down or give you a reset so you can get back "on time". It is a great thinking man's ride. I started by "racing" doing desert and GP, but then I lost a bet and had to try an enduro and was hooked. Check out the www.ridechec.com website for a lot of information.

The first loop is easier terrain with slower speeds. It is a nice 40+ mile ride and it gets your bike, body and mind all warmed up. Depending on your skill, you might drop a handful of points. The second loop is more difficult terrain, and the speeds are higher, you will probably drop a bunch of points. The third loop is A & B riders only, and it will kick your tail most of the time. The terrain has made me wonder why I own a dirtbike and my score looks like the national debt. The VCMC rockgarden is child's play in comparison to some of the hills and challenges on the third loop.

Sign up and get in where you end up, I wouldn't worry about being at the back. There are faster and slower people mixed in everywhere. There are some of the fastest guys out there that insist on being in the last couple minutes. Come prepared to learn, come equipped and ask to be on a row with a timekeeper.

You can race as many bikes as you want, but the classes are split up between 0-250cc and 251cc+. You can get a license with whatever bike you want (LWT or HWT), but if you ride the other one, you won't get points. If you are just out for fun, then who cares about points?

Is this invite open to who ever? I am new to TT and relatively new to riding. My usual riding buddies are not so usual. I need to get out and build my skills.

NO! Closed discussion!

Just kidding of course! The OP is a friend and fellow club member (sorry for the highjack Joe!) and is a good rider. He knows his stuff and I would recommend trying to hook up with him on a ride.

Unfortunately I don't get any more desert rides. The only time I am out there is to work on a course or to race. Having a kid that won't let you go riding without him means I am pretty much stuck at the tracks for my play rides for the time being.

Actually, yes. I think the plan is for Dave and I to go wrap up the final details of the United MC Not-So-Tuff-E-Nuff enduro third loop that day. Heard of it?

It shouldn't be bad. Most of the argueing is already done. He is loop captain this year, not I, so it should be rideable by more people than last year's third loop. So far I have heard the following out of him as I suggest routes:

"Are you f-ing kidding?"

"You smoking something that I am not smelling?"

"Go ahead, I'll stand here and catch you."

"Well, sure it is a downhill, gravity will make sure of that. Not a chance in hell I am finding out."

"No."

Then my favorite, as we had just spent 30-40 minutes walking our bikes down a hill I thought would be a great addition to the loop:

"Remind me why we are still friends, because I am considering changing things unless you have a good reason."

Last year it cost Kevin a set of forks. This year it has already taken out Mo's GPS. All the damage should be done. Oh, I am taking my 9 year old as well. He can keep you company.

I have heard of this event. I am going to race it this year so I can't work on it. I need points for the CHEC series:p

Actually as much as I would love to donate bike parts to the desert gods I am a servant of Ricky Bobby and will be on the 2nd loop this year. I am graduating from the first loop so when I get a set of big boy pantz I will be on the 3rd loop.

Forgive me for my greenness. How does this work? Does everyone meet out there and fly through the desert at break-neck speed? Are there other noobs mixed in so that I'm not the only one slowing everybody down? Where is this location and when does everyone meet? I hate sounding like an amateur but I won't know if I don't ask.

Forgive me for my greenness. How does this work? Does everyone meet out there and fly through the desert at break-neck speed? Are there other noobs mixed in so that I'm not the only one slowing everybody down? Where is this location and when does everyone meet? I hate sounding like an amateur but I won't know if I don't ask.

It all depends on how many people get together for a group meet and ride. Anything around 6-10 people is a doable ride together (no matter the experience). More than that brake it down into groups with a destination to meet and then head back to staging or do separate rides all together. The problem I have found with more than 6-10 and various capabilities is it gets to crazy for the fast guys to have to wait for the slow guys. I think of myself as in the middle so I don't slow down the fast guys. When I am the lead of a group just as others you always wait for the last guy to show up in the group before taking off again. Locations are just picked out for a staging area for a meeting place and time. Something like "Hodge Road kick stands up at 8:30" etc. etc.