Sign in to follow this  

More NX help

I just picked up a clean 89 NX250. I have been reading that a spark issue is very common with these bikes.

So I have zero spark and have replaced the coil.

I have the CDI box out and plan and smack it a few time to see if it works.

My next problem is the starter switch is falling apart inside the housing. How can I rewire a new switch on there since a replacement unit is impossible to find without losing half my harm and legs.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

"stay green" :bonk:

That is what I gathered from my reading. A lot of people say smack the CDI box on the back and it should work.. haha :bonk:

IF i do need a new CDI who still sells them?

check bike bandit dot com or western hills honda, SHS powersports, davidsilverspares and or ebay. It may also be the pick up on the stator.

Got a chuckle out of your smacking the CDI because it won't do any good. Even if it did - it would only prove the part is bad / fargile and will fail again. Kinda like smacking the back of the TV set - it may work for awhile only to have to smack it again. Not a reliable fix or means of troubleshooting.

I checked for for you on bike bandit dot come and the CDI is stil available, but spendy - as such is the life of loving motorcycles. :-)

MODULE, IGN CONT

(SHINDENGEN)

$221.99

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1988-honda-nx250/o/m2461#sch1648

What years and models is the CDI box the same. I am very interested in splitting my cdi box but would like to find a back up if I fail when i split it.

The NX series lived a very short life, 1988/89. I would think all of the CDI's are identical for the 250.

As I have said many times before, the NX was a bold move for HONDA replacing the venerable XL model line and it failed miserably. The NX was NOT accepted by America and delaers were left with unsold units - of couse Honda in 1993 reutilized the NX650 motor in a XR frame and the XR650L was born and has been a sell out for them for 18 years now, never changed with the exception of paint and graphics. The NX250 was never revived. However if you look closely at the japanese doemtic market CRF250L the engine has a strking resembalance to the NX250. Probably not identical but you can bet it was engineered from the same design, drawings etc. Saves money and time.

So I want to try and keep my bike as stalk as possible and looking to replace my start switch since my switch was crumbling to pieces when I opened it. I see it has 4 wires and when you push the button it kills the light and starts the bike. How can I added a new switch and incorporate the same style of idea of killing the light and starting. Or is there any other easy was I can remedy all this.

Thanks for the help. Not really smart when it comes to electrical..

Tom

So i got the bike running. Bought a new CDI box. Bike fired up right away. Then I was able to get a start/stop switch off a VF500. the switch is the same even the connector. All I had to do was wire the new switch with my connector so it was plug and play.. Thanks for all the help !!!!