Sign in to follow this  

How bad did I mess up. PICS!

Hey guys,

I'm tearing my bike down and doing some things over the winter. I am replacing the steering bearings for the first time on this bike.

So I cut out the races in the frame. Then hammered off the bearing on the steering stem, this left the inner race on the stem.

So I cut that off as well.

Then there was this small washer left on the bottom of the stem. I looked at it and there was numbers stamped on it, so without thinking much I cut away.

Then after a while of grinding, I realized the 'bearing numbers' wiped off.

So now I'm assuming the washer was apart of the stem:banghead:

Any advice?? Anyone have a spare stem or lower triple clamp they're willing to part with??

Also, anyone know the different models and years that used the same clamp?

2011-12-16181831.jpg

not bad . you need to polish it up smooth do the new bearing can be pressed on without binding

not bad . you need to polish it up smooth do the new bearing can be pressed on without binding

I'm not worried about the gouge in the stem.

Why are you cutting stuff out. I ask because I am about to do my steering bearing too but I did not read about cutting away anything in the shop manual.

It will be fine, clean up the stem so when your PRESSING the bearing back on it want bind upSmooth out the rough edges, new bearing and ride the crap out of it.

On removing the old bearing I always press the stem out of the bearing and clamp, press the stem back in to the clamp then press on the bearing.

+1

as long as the race can seat flat on the base its fine.

What material is it? Could you let someone weld some material on the gouge and file it down?

I haven't got that far to figure out what it is. But I have a welder, but I think I've done enough damage so far.:bonk:

Why are you cutting stuff out. I ask because I am about to do my steering bearing too but I did not read about cutting away anything in the shop manual.

Cutting the races out of the frame, because I don't want to heat them out because of my powdercoat. Then cutting the bottom race off the stem because I don't have a press, so I just cut them off.

It will be fine, clean up the stem so when your PRESSING the bearing back on it want bind upSmooth out the rough edges, new bearing and ride the crap out of it.

On removing the old bearing I always press the stem out of the bearing and clamp, press the stem back in to the clamp then press on the bearing.

Yeah, that's a genius way to do them. I haven't bought a press yet, but that's now on my list. Thanks for your method!

I haven't got that far to figure out what it is. But I have a welder, but I think I've done enough damage so far.:bonk:

Stem is steel, clamp is aluminum.

When installing the outer races into the frame many people whack them in with a hammer, which works, BUT the right way is to pull them in, a cheap tool can be made with 2 nuts, threaded rod and some outer race size washers. I have seen several crack over the years by using the hammer method.

• Like 1

Stem is steel, clamp is aluminum.

When installing the outer races into the frame many people whack them in with a hammer, which works, BUT the right way is to pull them in, a cheap tool can be made with 2 nuts, threaded rod and some outer race size washers. I have seen several crack over the years by using the hammer method.

:bonk:

I'm not going to weld the stem. I don't have access to a lathe to smooth it up after, so JB weld will have to do.

That is the method I used on my old CR. But with it's aluminum frame, typically heating up the frame and freezing the races worked pretty well.

But now with my steel powdercoated frame, I don't want to heat on it.

I wish I had a press to get the new bearing on the stem. I guess I could use my frame as a press, with a large washer on the bottom with an ID the same size as the stem.

i reall dont think you did much damage. as long as you clean it up, it shouldnt effect it, i wouldnt think. the bearing still has alot of surface to ride on.

im not sure i would even use JBweld on it.

You removed the lower bearing seal, if you got a kit it will have a new one with it. The damage is nothing so just clean it up with a file and get it all back together. No point in JB weld as it will no offer any strength or anything and you cant even see that when the seal and bearing are back on. Merely a flesh wound :-)

you messed up bad the moment you used a grinder to remove bearings. :smirk:

Quite often use a grinder to be fair if no press is around. I just use a tube over the stem to stop any chance of touching it and a u shape plate over the lower clamp. Grind part way through the race and then tap it with a cold chisel so it splits through. Bearings slip straight off then. Use the same steel tube then to drive the new bearing and seal straight on then. Works a treat :bonk: