Sign in to follow this  

oil leaking help

well this has happened a couple of times. i go to fill up my oil and when i start it flows out the overflow tube. After i get done riding or turn it off i look at the window on the crank case and it is barely showing. If i poor a little more oil in the oil that i just poored will flow out the tube again. Please help!

When you change the oil, measure the amount exactly as is listed on the case or manual. It also depends on whether you change the filter and drain both side of the sump. It is hard to tell by the sight glass. My 2006 will blow a little bit out of the vent right after the oil change and then stop.

as long as it touches in the window when its level then you have enough, its good enough to lub ricate and get into the oil pump

first and formost the sightglass is not a tool to measure oil! it is only there to verify there is oil in the bike....

04-08 requires 1300ccs of oil if you do not change the oil filter.. 1350cc if you change the oil filter.. 1500ccs if the cases were split and it's a bone dry..

09-12 is 850cc oils recommended by kawi but most run 1000 ccs [i use one us quart 948cc]

if you measure it then don't worry about the sight glass.. most of the time if you use the sight glass for initial measurement you will be low on oil.. if you add oil after the bike has been started by the sight glass you will be over filled...