Sign in to follow this  

Bought my first 2-stroke!

First off, I'm Jeff, new to the forum but it seems to be a good one with lots of info!

I just bought an 03 CR250r. I had a DR350 a while back but this is my first 2-stroke and am kind of clueless about them. What should I know about them? Anything from maintenance to riding techniques, the DR required very little of either so I need some education. I've already searched around the archives and learned about switching out the carb and some other random things but really anything you guys think I should know let's hear it!

Congrats on the new bike. May want to head down to the honda 2-stroke section, I'm sure you will find more than enough info in there.

You should know that you own the best bike ever invented. I'm still stoked out of my mind on my 98 honda cr250r, but I'm a real big honda guy.

As for your maintenance man replace anything on the bike that is not cherry (good condition) Check your air filter, chain, sprockets, tires, carb, everything.

You can put a brand new wiseco pro lite piston in that bike for $200, which is what I'm about to do for christmas so don't let it intimidate you when it's time.

-Check/clean or replace your air filter every ride.

-Lube chain every ride

-Change gear oil every 3rd ride

-Check all of the bikes bearings and grease if necessary (swing arm linkage, wheel hub bearings, shock upper and lower, headset, everything)

-Lube cables

-Clean carb, check jetting, make sure it's all right.

-Get OEM service manual ASAP

Once you get your service manual just read through the whole thing and perform all the routine maintenance. Then you'll develop your own routine for doing all of it. Load up on pre-mix, wd40, honda radiator coolant, chain lube, gear oil, scrub brushes, all kinds of stuff.

Last but not least, enjoy the hell out of this bike.

Congrats on the new bike. I'm not sure about the best bike ever made, I'm partial to yamaha, but none the less a good bike. Read the two stroke section in Honda forum. You'll get a lot of info from them.

Welcome to the forum. when you ride rev it high! and let her scream.. you will get a good feel from it!

Yes start learning the differences of your 2 stroke and how the 4 strokes operate. If someone is giving riding techniques on a 4 stroke try not to listen, because the 2t's are completely different on how they track and accelerate. In the rough areas it's actually easier the more speed you carry. Learn about body position and braking (for 2t) again different for 4t's, but you picked the right side to ride on.

2strokes are cheaper, lighter weight, simpler, sound/smell better, real motocross, and honestly you just cannot beat the power delivery of a Honda Cr250r (or yam, kawi, suzy for my other colored brothers)

One thing I never understood is that folks always say "stay on the pipe!", "rev it out!", ride in the powerband!" etc. But I poop around slow technical stuff all day and probably only spend about 1/5 of my ride abouve 1/2 throttle... no fouled plugs, no excessive spooge, no problems at all. Although now I'm running a Kehin Air Striker which is great for the slow stuff and bottom power, but that's no deal breaker, just a bonus.

A good thing to learn is getting familiar with your jetting and how to adjust it, when and why. A lot of folks say you need to adjust our jetting evertime a baby is born, but I've found that once you get it right, it's a matter of just adjusting your air/fuel screw a 1/2 turn sometimes, if you feel like it.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

A good thing to learn is getting familiar with your jetting and how to adjust it, when and why. A lot of folks say you need to adjust our jetting evertime a baby is born, but I've found that once you get it right, it's a matter of just adjusting your air/fuel screw a 1/2 turn sometimes, if you feel like it.

Enjoy.

So true. It's an art for sure and you have to learn your bike in particular. Just cuz' Joe face has your same bike and is doing such and such doesn't mean your bike will. I have found the honda service manual will get you very very close and you must listen to the bike and or do plug readings from there, but lately one week it will be 70 degrees and the next it will be 50 degrees so each saturday I am constantly adjusting the air screw or even changing the main jet depending on how big a swing in temperature.

One thing I never understood is that folks always say "stay on the pipe!", "rev it out!", ride in the powerband!" etc. But I poop around slow technical stuff all day and probably only spend about 1/5 of my ride abouve 1/2 throttle... no fouled plugs, no excessive spooge, no problems at all. Although now I'm running a Kehin Air Striker which is great for the slow stuff and bottom power, but that's no deal breaker, just a bonus.Enjoy.

Because unless you are carrying speed you're not doing squat. The point is to do the opposite of putting around and what's funny about the speed is on our bikes when your in a gnarly rough section, whoops, ruts, berms, whatev the more you power out and carry speed the easier it is. The point is to either be on the gas or on the brakes being 90% gas 10% braking never in between unless your just at the track screwing around.

Another guy here who is not so sure about the "best bike ever invented" thing,but I'm not one to flame somebody for being enthusiastic about his brand. Lol First thing,get a gas can for your mixed gas,mark it as such,and put nothing but that in it. Second pick a quality 2stroke oil and mix ratio,and stick to it. Jet to that ratio,don't try to adjust the ratio to suit your jetting. Also get in the habit of riding with a finger on the clutch and brake if you don't already. A quick stab at the clutch will have that CR taking off like a rocket,so learn to be careful with your clutch and throttle control. An 85 CR 250 would be a lot more fun to ride than a DR 350 in my opinion,so you should have a blast on your new bike. Oh and my last tidbit-wear a full faced helmet so the guys riding four strokes can't see your shit eating grin when you go by on your smoker. If everybody starts wanting one it will push prices up through the roof. Lol

wear a full faced helmet so the guys riding four strokes can't see your shit eating grin when you go by on your smoker. If everybody starts wanting one it will push prices up through the roof. Lol

I love it!!! It's a good feeling blowing by a 2012 4t...

Haha definitely not the best bike ever invented, except in my eyes!

I still highly suggest Klotz for your oil premix.

make sure to the bike warm up, unlike 4t they need time to get ready so they can blow the 4t out of the water. youll know when its warmed up because if its not it will cut out kinda,and if not warmed up well you could crack a piston. other then that just have fun with it bud!!!!!!!

make sure to the bike warm up, unlike 4t they need time to get ready so they can blow the 4t out of the water. youll know when its warmed up because if its not it will cut out kinda,and if not warmed up well you could crack a piston. other then that just have fun with it bud!!!!!!!

Def BIG ditto here. Couldn't agree more. I feel like many a 2t riders do NOT let their bikes warm up hardly at all. The best thing you can do is sit there for at least 3 minutes and gradually rev more and more...Don't have to go overboard or anything. I also will touch my pipe after a couple mins till it gets good and warm.

I know these 2 strokes are high rpm machines made to be wound out, but they're still a cold motor just like any other at some point and need to warm up. I HATE the guys that kick it over and just immediately rev it to the moon :bonk:

Oh and btw, been going on close to a decade with the same top end in my CR, so I think I must be doing something right. Actually about to put another top end over christmas even though it runs like a bat outta hell as it sits.