Sign in to follow this  

Strange noises from starter

Hey.

OK so I am just about ready to burn this bike, I get one thing fixed and then something new pops up! :bonk:

I am having issues with the starter motor now! When I press the button you can hear the starter turn but doesn't seem to be turning the engine, sounds almost as if the starter is just spinning, however everynow and then the bike cranks. I managed to get the bike started once... but just ended up killing the battery.

One of my mates mentioned it could possibly be the clutch in the starter? I am honestly not to sure. I need help urgent! I haven't been able to ride for three months! :smirk:

Hey.

OK so I am just about ready to burn this bike, I get one thing fixed and then something new pops up! :bonk:

I am having issues with the starter motor now! When I press the button you can hear the starter turn but doesn't seem to be turning the engine, sounds almost as if the starter is just spinning, however everynow and then the bike cranks. I managed to get the bike started once... but just ended up killing the battery.

One of my mates mentioned it could possibly be the clutch in the starter? I am honestly not to sure. I need help urgent! I haven't been able to ride for three months! :smirk:

It's one of two things: Starter Clutch, or Pressed-Gear combo off the Starter Clutch. If it just slip without a loud noise, that's usually the clutch. If it makes a racket, it's usually the pressed-gear combo that came un-pressed. You can fix it in a couple of hours.

The most common reason for this to go out is improper jetting. When the bike is hard to start, you end up using the starter for more than 5-6 sec at a time, you over-heat everything, and it eventually fails somewhere.

Is your bike stock jetting?

I think it might be. When I got the bike it had the stock exhaust on it, but the baffle removed, I asked if he rejetted it and he said no. It was always a bit difficult to start.

I have pretty muched ripped the whole bike down (excluding engine), rewired a few things, and started rebuilding it (was looking beat up). I installed an aftermarket pipe on it and had the valves adjusted 2 days ago.

Before I even touched anything with the bike I remember when it struggled to start the starter would make a clunk noise every now and then. My bike is booked in next week to get new fork seals and jetting done, but there is no way I will let my mechanic fix the starter, not for the price they are wanting.

I have an 05 and when i hit the button the starter makes a whining noise, sometimes it will turn the motor over slow, but most of the time its like a dead battery, it trys to turn it a bit then its done

my pressed gear seems to be fine, the clutch wont slip when trying to turn it by hand, i dont know what to check next

I have an 05 and when i hit the button the starter makes a whining noise, sometimes it will turn the motor over slow, but most of the time its like a dead battery, it trys to turn it a bit then its done

my pressed gear seems to be fine, the clutch wont slip when trying to turn it by hand, i dont know what to check next

Checking the clutch by hand wont' tell you much. It's the clutchl most likely.

Try starting it with the side cover off, to find the culprit.

Adjust your decompressor lever on the head to ensure proper starting rpm.

ok, thanks krannie, i may just go agead and put a starter clutch in it

im in the process of a complete rebuild so it's in peices already

im doing clutch basket&plates, piston, valves, camchain, tensioner, all the seals,

is there anything else common i should look at a little closer while its apart

ok, thanks krannie, i may just go agead and put a starter clutch in it

im in the process of a complete rebuild so it's in peices already

im doing clutch basket&plates, piston, valves, camchain, tensioner, all the seals,

is there anything else common i should look at a little closer while its apart

Yeah, make sure you get your head 5-angle cut for the new valves, don't skimp on the valve train parts (keepers, springs, etc), put in an '02 R cam, and (if pre 2007) change your accelerator pump linkage spring (Merge).

thanks for the great advice, im sure before this is done i will have more questions

If your a woods rider in Ohio you may not want the 02 r cam.

If your a woods rider in Ohio you may not want the 02 r cam.

Pffffftttt.....we want him launching from corner to corner, right?

Seriously, the '02 cam is very wide and controlled power when used in the X motor, but with FURIOUS power when you go to WOT.