New to 2-strokes

Hey guys, new to the forum and had some questions. Was told I might get a better response in this section.

I just bought an 03 CR250r. I had a DR350 a while back but this is my first 2-stroke and am kind of clueless about them. What should I know about them? Anything from maintenance to riding techniques, the DR required very little of either so I need some education. I've already searched around the archives and learned about switching out the carb and some other random things but really anything you guys think I should know let's hear

oil in the gas 32to1 or 40to1... I run 32to1

keep the air filter clean

(I think 03') has the powervalve with the cable? if so keep an eye on the adjustment.

and as far as technique it's all about throttle control!!

and welcome to site!

Right on!

The air boot needs rtv at the air box attachment.

As was mentioned, pv cables need adjusted often

The bike eats upper shock mount spherical bearings at alarming rates.

The frame spars get fretting wear under the radiator shrouds.

Stock reeds chip easily

The exhaust flange has a history of cracking, replace with a pro circuit or boyesen. I have both, if you like one thick oring better than 2 thin ones go with the pro circuit.

Don't swap the stock pipe till it's smashed beyond repair they're very good.

If you go with aftermarket pistons be sure to look for exhaust cooling hole drilling instructions

Get a good brand name premix 32:1-40:1 and jet accordingly

Set your suspension first. Look up setting sag it's not just for racers.

Get the manual Honda makes the best manual in the industry. Don't get a generic one.

Change packing now and then

Check the springs for your weight over at race tech or other suspension shops.

Enjoy it!

• Like 1

What pieplate said 'cept for the drilling of piston. Didn't know that was req'd on aftermarket CR250 pistons? How come?

Go another step further and get MXbonz CNC airbox kit. It allows air filter to sit flush upon lip vice the OEM one that have nubs which invite sediment into your motor - IMO.

Right on!

Hmm I have not heard of people doing this normally. Is this only needed strictly on the 03's or would it also help my 98 cr250?

99GTvert, as for premix oil, DO NOT just go to some gas station and buy "2 stroke oil" Go to your local dealer and get KLOTZ super techniplate it is the best and when burning it smells OH so amazing...drooool. I can't wait to be smelling it all day tomorrow :bonk:

On a more simple note, get a ratio rite, it makes precise fuel/oil mixture easy.( I run my 125 and 250 at 32-1) Klotz supertechniplate is a great choice for pre-mix. Be sure to use a non-hypoid gear oil. Keep you air filter clean, and enjoy all the power! Welcome to the two stroke side of the fence, you will love it.

Right on!

I've owned an 03 & now an 02 & haven't had this problem or heard of it being an issue on these bikes. Are you running oem ?

Op good choice on the bike. Get a Honda manual & look over the whole bike before you ride it. When I buy a used bike I do this to have a piece of mind the bike wont break down on me. As mentioned on the premix 32:1 - 40:1 will work & jet accordingly to your temps & area. I use Honda oils but there are many good choices on the market for better pricing.

The airbox fix is a must or you'll have engine failure down the road.

Welcome to the 2t's & enjoy your new ride.

Klotz supertechniplate is a great choice for pre-mix.

Good man! I recommended this to him in his first thread exactly like this one. Klotz is so awesome :bonk: and hands down smells the best. I also agree about the measuring cup, you've got to be precise!

What is a non hypoid gear oil? I originally was using ATF, then later switched to an 80w gear oil from dealer which was a nono, and now I'm running Valvoline regular 10w30 gear oil for WET CLUTCHES, but I haven't heard of non hypoid so just making sure I'm in the clear here. The bike seems to run great with the valvoline.

What is a non hypoid gear oil? I originally was using ATF, then later switched to an 80w gear oil from dealer which was a nono, and now I'm running Valvoline regular 10w30 gear oil for WET CLUTCHES, but I haven't heard of non hypoid so just making sure I'm in the clear here. The bike seems to run great with the valvoline.

why a nono with the 80wt? I have run the honda 80-85wt in my 97' it's whole life...

Right on!

As was mentioned, pv cables need adjusted often

The frame spars get fretting wear under the radiator shrouds.

Stock reeds chip easily

The exhaust flange has a history of cracking, replace with a pro circuit or boyesen. I have both, if you like one thick oring better than 2 thin ones go with the pro circuit.

Don't swap the stock pipe till it's smashed beyond repair they're very good.

If you go with aftermarket pistons be sure to look for exhaust cooling hole drilling instructions

Get a good brand name premix 32:1-40:1 and jet accordingly

Set your suspension first. Look up setting sag it's not just for racers.

Get the manual Honda makes the best manual in the industry. Don't get a generic one.

Change packing now and then

Check the springs for your weight over at race tech or other suspension shops.

Enjoy it!

Great stuff....anyone have similar info on a CR85??

Weisco pistons require two holes to be drilled at the exhaust bridge, for additional lube, and cooling at this critical area.

A good solution for the shroud rubbing the frame is to trim the flandge on the shroud flat , and apply a layer of clear plastic at this contact point.

I see. Could expand statement to forged pistons require this vice brand name (i.e., Wossner). Goes without saying that cast do not.