Sign in to follow this  

buyers remorse

i was pretty stoked about getting into riding offroad/motoX and buying my first 4stroke 250. being the fiscally conservative person that i am, i decided to buy used first. make sure i'm gonna stick with the sport, ride it for 1-2seasons, before buying a new bike.

any how, i ended up buying an used 2008 kawi kx250f. raced by sponsored rider, supposedly had regular maintenance by qualified team mechanic. i tried to read up on TT and educate myself on what to look out for.

in person, the bike looked and sounded legit. from what i could inspect, i would peg it at a "good" condition. needed some consumable parts replaced: chain, sprocket, clutch cable, grips. i figured, it is an "used bike", so i plopped down some benjamins and loaded her in my truck.

i get to a trusted local shop, and being my first bike, i decided to have them give it an once over and install the parts needing replacement. much to my chagrin i get a call from the service manager a day later, theres...

1)frame damage - 1 tab for the rear master cylinder is cracked, can be welded/repaired

2)rear axle chain tension adjuster is seized, rear wheel could not be removed, drilled out and retapped.

3)fork needs new seals/bushing/oil, basically a rebuild

4)small amount of play in the rear linkage

5)plus the labor/parts for the what i just specified above.

i'm prob looking at a total bill of at least 1K. and i'm wondering if it's just a matter of time the engine grenades.

i'm kicking myself in the ass that i should have just gotten a new bike and take advantage of that rock-bottom percentage financing some of the manufacturers were offering.

i'm seriously thinking of just selling the kawi after i get it back. hopefully sell it for the same price i paid for it, but end up eating the costs of repair. then, buy a new bike for some peace of mind.

what say you?

*sigh* :bonk:

if your willing to shell out the money to buy brand new, i would just invest that money in a new top/bottom end and that way you will still save like $5k over buying the new one. :bonk:

Well I found myself in the same situation a yr ago...I did the exact same thing....only mine was a smoker...repair bill just over $975. It's been nothing but fun since...so get her rebuilt, and she will last until you decide to buy new...

If you are going to have the "local" shop do all your repairs/maintenance you are in for a expensive hobby. The issues you described are all very minor. 100 bucks tops if you do it your self.

Local dealer or shop? Try to find a small local shop and try to work with them. I like working on my bike and my 2 sons but some things it is just easier and less frustrating to take it to the shop. Tell them you know nothing about working on bikes and if they don't rip you off you will be back a lot. It took me awhile to find a local place but I will recommend and will go back.

First mistake is going to local dealer, Nothing but a place to waste your money. Learn to do most repairs yourself. All of those repairs are minor and should not be anywhere close to 1K to fix.

1) frame rewelded 20-50 bucks

2) frozen axle adjuster. remove axle, wheel can then slide forward because axle block is not there,remove chain from sprocket and take wheel off. heat up the adjuster with propane torch or use penetrating fluid and let it set. it will come loose if you start working it back and forth with a 10mm socket and ratchet. had the exact same problem with my crf.

3) fork seals--typical wear item, you can replace the seals and wipers for 50 bucks

4) parts and labor. dealers are way over priced and most, NOT ALL, have incompetent mechanics..

There is basically no mechanical issue your bike will ever have that cannot be resolved by the wealth of knowledge that TT members have.. There must be 1000 years of combined experience right here at your finger tips. You have a good bike, go get it from the dealer, get some basic tools and learn to do it your self. Most all repairs are basic mechanics..

you bought a beat 4 yr old race bike, what do you expect? for it to be in nice shape...

despite all the horror stories of buying an used 4stroke, i just couldn't initially see myself shelling out 7K for a new bike. i gambled...and lost. :bonk:

i'm wondering if i should just going ahead and pre-emptively rebuild. plan is to at least check valve clearances...if thats ok, maybe hold off the rebuild for another 8hrs.

I don't think you lost, these guys have valid points about doing the work yourself. If you even have very limited mechanical ability you can do the work. It isn't such a bad thing to get to know your bike. Less than 100 bucks in specialty tools you can pretty much do any work on the bike yourself. And, at your fingertips, you have one of the greatest resources on the planet with TT and its members. Everyone is here to help. Lighten up on yourself, put a couple bucks into the bike over the winter and ride your ass off come springtime! Have fun! All the work you mentioned above at a dealer should cost nowhere, I mean nowhere, close to a grand.

even buying a new bike is no guarantee. Plenty of people have grenaded new bikes. Oops no warranty on dirt bikes. You still think you lost? You need to change that mind set or your never going to be happy riding. what happens when you buy that new bike and 2 weeks later, you have a mechanical failure? dirt bikes are dirt bikes, they run, then they don't, we fix them and ride again, repeat process..Not harping on you at all, but dirt bike riding is not cheap to begin with, and if you always go to the dealer and paying 90.00 hour labor it is going tobe that much more expensive. I've been there and done that.. i learned to repair my own bikes both street and dirt and enjoy them more now than ever...oh,, yeah you should definately check valve clearance..

you did the right thing by buying a used bike 1st and getting into the sport without a huge investment. next time you'll know what to look for when buying a used bike. should have brought a friend that rides to help you look over the bike before you bought it. seems like if it was a bike that "had regular maintenance by qualified team mechanic" , it wouldnt have needed chain, sprocket, clutch cable, grips or had blown seals and a seized tensioner.

Oh if the dealer didn't do the work, don't let them! They are going to look for the smallest of things wrong to whack you on. You can get a pivot works fork rebuild kit for about 75 bucks,some fork oil for 20 bucks, linkage kit for 75. Get some tools from TT or Rocky Mtn atv and give it a shot. Rebuilding the motor may be a bit of a challenge but still doable.

Anyone in the DC/VA/MD area heard of The Motorcycle Factory in woodbridge? I read some good reviews about their service. The owner is also the shop manager and seemed pretty friendly and no BS. I am a new customer to them, and he knows that this is my first bike. I dont get the sense he is trying to put in over on me. Hopefully, like any saavy small business owner, good service will translate to loyal customers.

I race downhill mountain bikes fairly competitively and do my own builds. Im pretty comfortable rebuilding linkages and front fork. But, admittedly, there's something about wrenching on an engine that gives me anxiety.

+1 on do it yourself.

For the amount of money you have mentioned you can buy the tools and parts, do the work, and have $$ left over. And at the end of the day you'll be absolutely sure it was done right and that you have not been screwed again.

From another tack, I've BTDT on the get it home and find out it was misrepresented business. It sucks, but let it be a statement about the other guy's lack of integrity and mark it up as experience for you.

So get busy! Turn your ugly duckling into a Swann and move on...:bonk:

If thats all that came up on a 3yr old race bike you're doing good. Suspension, bearing work is pretty much a given on any used bike. For less than $50 you have all the parts needed, get someone to weld the tab for less than $50.

So for $100 or less you're ready, you just need to do the work yourself. You will need to learn these skills anyways because it's a very expensive sport otherwise. It's not hard and when you have problems in the future you will know whats going on rather than scratching your head.

Took my bike to a shop once and never been back since. Learn to do things and yourself and it will pay off BIG TIME in the long run.

With everything you listed, even paying shop fee, shouldn't be more than $300-$400. Half that (or less) if you do it yourself. If the shop told you the stuff listed would cost $1k, cross them off the "trusted" list muy pronto.

As others have stated, if you can't/won't do the work yourself, it's going to cost you 2-3 times as much to keep the bike running. Plus your at the mercy of whatever the shop wants to tell you needs done.

Get yourself a Kawi shop manual and some tools with the $600-$700 you'll save by doing the work yourself.

The welding part you might have to have done, machine work or cylinder plating you'll have to have done, but everything else is very doable by you.:bonk:

you also must realize that most dealers will only sell new parts, so where a repair shop can and will fix a stripped adjuster bolt, a dealer wants to sell you a new swingarm and adjuster! If you find a motorcycle repair shop that fixes all models, he will be happy getting money for labor to fix. Dealers are happy to get your labor and parts money under the guise of being able to warranty new parts.