A sad day in automotive history

I don't expect much sympathy from the Chevy apologists out there, but I for one shed a tear or two over the loss of the Ford Ranger. :bonk:

Today was the last day of production for Ford Rangers, ostensibly made obsolete by the F150. If I wanted a truck that wouldn't fit in my garage, I would have bought an F150. When my '91 Ranger is no longer a viable form of transportation (either due to parts obsolescence or getting totaled), I'm not sure what I'll replace it with. I just hope I can keep it going for another 20 years.

When the time comes, what will you replace your Ranger with?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/end-ford-ranger-says-working-america-183034573.html

I don't expect much sympathy from the Chevy apologists out there, but I for one shed a tear or two over the loss of the Ford Ranger. :bonk:

Today was the last day of production for Ford Rangers, ostensibly made obsolete by the F150. If I wanted a truck that wouldn't fit in my garage, I would have bought an F150. When my '91 Ranger is no longer a viable form of transportation (either due to parts obsolescence or getting totaled), I'm not sure what I'll replace it with. I just hope I can keep it going for another 20 years.

When the time comes, what will you replace your Ranger with?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/end-ford-ranger-says-working-america-183034573.html

Too bad. That's a nice little truck. Will Mazda be still making the same truck? They still make them right?

I have a 95 longbed with the 3.0 engine and manual transmission. I bought it new in 1995 and it now has 160,000 miles on it. Like one mentioned above, it's still kicking around the driveway to do short hauling, taking out the trash, etc. It needs some repairs that have been postponed because other vehicles on the driveway have higher priority and utility right now.

I looked at the new Rangers for the last couple of years in a row and they didn't seem to have done anything that would make me want a new one. They got rid of the midsized engine, fuel economy was not vastly improved and the price just kept going up. Meanwhile, a 150 was starting to look pretty good....full sized, good fuel economy and not much difference in price. But it turned out that I couldn't afford a new anything this year, anyway. So, when I heard that the Ranger was on it's last production model earlier this year, it didn't surprise me. I think that they were great trucks for their time and I'll probably keep mine. There's no shortage of aftermarket parts for keeping the little truck in good running order.

Edited by dirt duchess

I had an '86 long bed 4x4 with a 2.9l and dual tanks. The only reason I got rid of it is because it went through automatic trannys at the rate of about 1 every year and a half. Other than that, it was an awesome truck.

After that I bought a '91 regular bed 4x4, also with the 2.9, but this time I got a 5 speed. That was an excellent little rig, but I sold it in 1995 (for $8,500)to get a full sized pickup. A year before I sold it, I installed a homemade receiver hitch on it. I saw it around town a few times in the following years, and I could always identify it by the receiver that I had built. A couple of months ago, I saw it pull into the gas staion by my house, so I followed it in there and chatted with the current owner. It turns out to be the same guy that bought the truck from me, he has been driving it daily for 15 years since I sold it to him. He was 17 years old when he bought the truck, and now he's in his 30's, married with children. 300k+ miles on it and that truck is still going strong. I told the guy that I think he got his money's worth and then some!

I hope it will come back in a few years with slightly bigger frame and more power from an ecoboost engine. Im a ford guy all the way but I bought an 03 Ranger edge brand new and was very dissapointed. Before it hit 70k it had all kinds of expensive break downs. The rear main seal blew, then the heads went out, and the tranny leaked. Luckily for me I had an extended 100k warranty.

My first 3 vehicles were Rangers. All were extended cab 5-speed 4X4's. I had an 88 with the 2.9, a 98 with the 3.0, and another 98 with the 4.0. The 4.0 was the best and I wish I had kept it as an off-road beater, but Ford's reluctance to update the Ranger and my need for a real back seat in a compact/midsize forced me into a Frontier. The Nissan is a far better truck in almost every regard, but Ranger's do hold a special place in my heart lol.

If Ford cared about the midsized market I'm sure they could be the leader there as they were back in the early 90's with the Ranger. But they pretty much said the F150 is their fleet leader and Ranger sales take away from F150 sales and they don't make as much money on Rangers, so why bother. Sad because having a truck that will still fit on tight off-road trails and doesn't take up both lanes on country roads is very important to me.

A sad day, indeed. I had a 94 standard cab with a 2.3L and 5-speed. That little truck moved all of my worldly possessions probably a dozen times through my college years. Sadly, it was too small for a growing family. I still wish I had a little runaround truck that got 23mpg like that one again. I love my crew cab Tundra, but it's a lot harder to park. :bonk:

I looked at the new Rangers for the last couple of years in a row and they didn't seem to have done anything that would make me want a new one. They got rid of the midsized engine, fuel economy was not vastly improved and the price just kept going up. Meanwhile, a 150 was starting to look pretty good....full sized, good fuel economy and not much difference in price. But it turned out that I couldn't afford a new anything this year, anyway.

Ford pretty much engineered the demise of the Ranger in-house.

I had an '86 long bed 4x4 with a 2.9l and dual tanks. The only reason I got rid of it is because it went through automatic trannys at the rate of about 1 every year and a half.

German engine, French Transmission, and UAW quality!:bonk:

FIL had that exact same truck, Ford finally threw in the towel and put a 5 speed behind it.

my bet is they re-introduce again in a few years like the taurus.

If they're smart they will...but with that said, I'm not holding my breath!