Sign in to follow this  

How do you remove inner fork tube from stanchion?

I'm rebuilding the forks on my older RM250. Both tubes are are jammed (slide hammer method no worky). I figured most likely the bushings are seized up. Anyone know how to remove the stanchion (foot) from the bottom tube? I've heard heat and twisting but I've got nothing on how to hold or grab the tube in order to turn it which is gonna need some torque.

You can heat the tube around the seal area to help loosen the seal. There is a circlip under the dust seal so make sure you have that removed. I'd suggest planning on getting new bushings and replacing the seals and bushings as a set instead of trying to take the axle casting off. That can be difficult and you'll still have to replace the seals and bushings.

I do plan on new bushings and seals. Because taking the foot off the fork isn't so simple now, I am gonna have to try heating the seal/bushing area like you said. That and some more slide hammering the crap out of it since the bushings are going anyway. thanks

Today i went ahead and just wailed on the thing a dozen or so times with the foot in a vice, after putting a little heat to bushing area just for good measure, and it finally flew apart. The bushings were destroyed as expected but by the looks of it they were already very worn out. The outer bushing had hardly any teflon on it and was digging into the inner one