Sign in to follow this  

best compromise for grossly oversprung suspension

Got an '07 crf450x that is quite a bit lighter than stock (exhaust, R subframe and airbox, no battery, etc.). 145lbs rider w/o gear. This is a temporary thing, so I'm not going to bother putting the right springs in. Going to trade with a 210lbs buddy who has stock crf250x suspension that looks like is going to make it perfect for both of us, at least spring-wise.

If I slacken the shock spring all the way I get like 80mm race sag and 65mm static sag :bonk: Is it better to just set the bike up with correct static sag and ride it, I won't use anywhere close to full travel but at least it's going to be balanced front to back?

Rider sag is more important then static sag for sure.

I mean if your plan is to ride it one day or something, who cares.

Obviously the spring is way stiff for you.

I'm curious about this also. My YZ450F is sprung for someone about 240-250#, and I weigh 175-180#. Feels great on massive jumps at the MX track, but when the track gets chopped up it gets super squirrely through accel bumps, and if there are any holes near the top of a takeoff, it wants to endo bad. New springs are probably a few weeks off, so between now and then what's the best way to compensate for that?

I'm curious about this also. My YZ450F is sprung for someone about 240-250#, and I weigh 175-180#. Feels great on massive jumps at the MX track, but when the track gets chopped up it gets super squirrely through accel bumps, and if there are any holes near the top of a takeoff, it wants to endo bad. New springs are probably a few weeks off, so between now and then what's the best way to compensate for that?

Go in a couple clicks on the rebound on the shock and back the high speed on the shock out to three full turns and try it.

If I slacken the shock spring all the way I get like 80mm race sag and 65mm static sag :bonk:

sorry, but these numbers are not possible.

its either a typo, wrong measuring or a massive linkage problem...

sorry, but these numbers are not possible.

its either a typo, wrong measuring or a massive linkage problem...

Umm, yea I just noticed that as well, you wouldn't get 60mm of static which would mean super soft, against 80mm of rider. There is something missing, I agree... Totally missed that on my first glance at the question.

Also wondered about that. I haven't measured it yet on the YZ450 but I would hazard a guess the static sag is around 30mm and rider is around 80-90mm. The forks I have no clue on, but they sure like to skitter to the outside of bumpy turns and ruts..

Also wondered about that. I haven't measured it yet on the YZ450 but I would hazard a guess the static sag is around 30mm and rider is around 80-90mm. The forks I have no clue on, but they sure like to skitter to the outside of bumpy turns and ruts..

Yea that makes a lot more sense. That spring sounds like it might work with some adjustment, its pretty close.

I'm not the OP, just someone in a similar situation. His numbers are still the ones that are really obscure.

I'm not the OP, just someone in a similar situation. His numbers are still the ones that are really obscure.

Obscene is what I'd call it :bonk: Why obscure?

stock shock spring is 5.5kg, on my 250 4.6 or 4.7 is what gets me into correct sag numbers. 450 is maybe 15lbs heavier so I'd need 4.8.

Got an '07 crf450x that is quite a bit lighter than stock (exhaust, R subframe and airbox, no battery, etc.). 145lbs rider w/o gear. This is a temporary thing, so I'm not going to bother putting the right springs in. Going to trade with a 210lbs buddy who has stock crf250x suspension that looks like is going to make it perfect for both of us, at least spring-wise.

If I slacken the shock spring all the way I get like 80mm race sag and 65mm static sag :bonk: Is it better to just set the bike up with correct static sag and ride it, I won't use anywhere close to full travel but at least it's going to be balanced front to back?

If the fork and shock springs are matched, I believe that you are better off setting the unladen sag so that the bike setup is balanced front to back.

JayC