Sign in to follow this  

KLX300R Backfiring.

Hi all, I bought a 2003 KLX300R and when I throttle it hard the bike backfires. Is this normal or does it need to be serviced?

Hi all, I bought a 2003 KLX300R and when I throttle it hard the bike backfires. Is this normal or does it need to be serviced?

Of course it's not normal. Yes, you need to find out what's wrong.

Is there associated black smoke when it does it? Does the bike stumble first? If so, it's running rich.

Check the air filter first. If it was filthy, clean it. Still doing it? Carb jetting is where I'd start next. I'd also change the plug. I'd seriously consider taking off the valve cover and check BOTH the timing as well as the valve clearances.

I did replace the plug and checked the air filter it was clean and oiled. Someone told me to use carb cleaner spray.

Standard carb? What jets are in it? Fuel bowl height checked? Smog system intact or removed? Carb vents clear and not pinched? Black smoke out the exhaust when it backfires? Carb boots intact? Diaphragm intact? Slide moving freely? Any other symptoms?

You may be experiencing a lean carb backfire. If the air box lid is removed and/or the butt plug removed from the end of the muffler, a lean carb will result if the carb has the "California" needle in it. If the needle doesn't have an adjustable clip on it, it's the California needle and should be replaced with a 49 states needle or even better is the DynoJet needle kit.

Ride on

Brewster