Sign in to follow this  

Husky Rips scores a 449!

TT devotee Husky Rips has found a nice deal on an '11 TC449. I'm looking foward to a ride report. I'm trying to convince him to ride a few of our Winter Mud and Snow Scrambles (We now have 2 series and about 11 races combined!), so he can get a feel for it in race conditions. HR is a ECEA A rider, so I think he can offer a good opinion. I hope to get a ride on this bike or Fred Hoess' demo soon.:bonk:

Nice!! Will be interesting to hear a report on a TC, everything on here has been TE or TXC. You let the cat out of the bag on his skill, he's been criticized heavily for talking not riding, He takes no offence, nor boasted about being an A rider!:bonk:

Nice!! Will be interesting to hear a report on a TC, everything on here has been TE or TXC. You let the cat out of the bag on his skill, he's been criticized heavily for talking not riding, He takes no offence, nor boasted about being an A rider!:bonk:

1, The 2011 TC449 is the best deal going and the bike is nice and light! :smirk:

2. I don't talk about riding because I don't want people to know where I ride.... It's a east coast urban thing if you know what I mean.

3. Anyway the plan with the bike is to ride GNCCs this year. :banana:

BlipBlip/Huskyrips

Sounds great on #3... but with you on it ?? lol

Chow, Carl

Carl as you know, I still go good on the big bikes. :bonk:

HuskyRips, I've seen a couple of GNCC events they look similar to the British Cross Country events in the UK. I've ridden a couple of these on my former TXC449 and were good fun. Shame i don't live in the USA my new TE449 would be entered. Interesting choice of bike the TC449. I've tried one its a great bike but a bit too much power for me in cross country events. I do run the TC449 forks. The springs are 0.44nm and valving is a little softer on the whole range. If the 2012 TC449 has the rear shock lowered by 4mm i'd be inclined to do this as well. Some top UK riders go with the Xtrig triple clamps running sharper steering angle and the PHse(?) matching clamps. S12 tyres in the wet. I'd fit a fan and a expansion tank for the rads. If you have grass/meadow type ground fit some mess over the air box intake you'll be surprised what can get in there. I'm not overly keen on the standard footrests they seem to hold the dirt. I'm looking at a set of Talon X8 they've a wider perch and replacable grub screws.

Anyway, excellent choice of bike and if you have any videos post them up.:bonk:

HuskyRips, I've seen a couple of GNCC events they look similar to the British Cross Country events in the UK. I've ridden a couple of these on my former TXC449 and were good fun. Shame i don't live in the USA my new TE449 would be entered. Interesting choice of bike the TC449. I've tried one its a great bike but a bit too much power for me in cross country events. I do run the TC449 forks. The springs are 0.44nm and valving is a little softer on the whole range. If the 2012 TC449 has the rear shock lowered by 4mm i'd be inclined to do this as well. Some top UK riders go with the Xtrig triple clamps running sharper steering angle and the PHse(?) matching clamps. S12 tyres in the wet. I'd fit a fan and a expansion tank for the rads. If you have grass/meadow type ground fit some mess over the air box intake you'll be surprised what can get in there. I'm not overly keen on the standard footrests they seem to hold the dirt. I'm looking at a set of Talon X8 they've a wider perch and replacable grub screws.

I know we speak a different language, but are you saying the TC motocrosser valving is SOFTER than the TE dual purpose bike? That would surprise me a lot. Thanks.

I know we speak a different language, but are you saying the TC motocrosser valving is SOFTER than the TE dual purpose bike? That would surprise me a lot. Thanks.

Amend/adjust the valving on the TC forks so they are softer and fit some 44nm springs i'm 200lbs. Also the TC forks are closed cartridge the TE forks are open cartridge (completely different)...hope this explains things a little clearer.

The top riders in the UK use 'Reiger' suspension i think its Dutch, but the TC forks have been used and get the tumbs up. The rear shock is good but they run with a quicker rebound action. The KYB has a rubber stop, on the Reiger the rebound is spring returned so quicker action from hits.

American GNCC events are more open than traditional East coast Hare Scrambles... and Racer Production makes their courses wider for quads than traditional east coast Hare scrambles which are Handle bar narrow (bike only trails). Most GNCCs are rocky with exposed roots so I'll valve it softer for that stuff, but also for big hits at speed.

I'm going to be running "A Golden Masters" (53 year old) and they're a two hour events so the stock tank should be fine with one splash.

As far as the bike itself goes, right now it's only going to require suspension revalving and springs, Enduro Engineering hand-guards, Enduro Engineering rear disk guard and P3 Heat Shields and skid plate... I like keeping the bike as close to stock as possible... my belief is no bling! just keep it simple.

We will probably play with the EFI tuning a little and add some flywheel if required.. I don't think it's going to require a steering stabilizer after the suspension been revalved and re sprung.

Anyway I'll try to keep everyone posted.

A true "A" rider doesn't boast because he knows he can ride! At 53 and still racing GNCC's is inspiring.

The GNCC's are a very fun, normally very well run event. Many of us "highly seasoned" riders ride them just for the pure fun of riding. Just the general "atmosphere" makes you feel ten years younger. Actually, they are not typically brutal, technical events. I have ridden many, many enduros that were much tougher physically. You owe it to yourself to try one, especially if you are a young pup like HuskyRips!

Amend/adjust the valving on the TC forks so they are softer and fit some 44nm springs i'm 200lbs. Also the TC forks are closed cartridge the TE forks are open cartridge (completely different)...hope this explains things a little clearer.

The top riders in the UK use 'Reiger' suspension i think its Dutch, but the TC forks have been used and get the tumbs up. The rear shock is good but they run with a quicker rebound action. The KYB has a rubber stop, on the Reiger the rebound is spring returned so quicker action from hits.

Another amendment, the TC/TXC Kayaba 48mm SSS forks are "DUAL CHAMBER" not closed like the Zokes or Ohlins TTX. The dual chamber can be made quite soft with better bottoming resistance with a few inexpensive and plain tricks as I'm learning. But 44nm springs for 200lbs or rider is way soft, I went up from .47 to .50 on my TXC310 at 220lb rider and didn't bottom out the past three rides. I'm heavier, but 310 is lighter then 449/511 too.

Good to see HRs return to racing! Having ridden and raced with him in the past I can say that he can make those Huskys Rip! Any plans for the occasional enduro?

Good to see HRs return to racing! Having ridden and raced with him in the past I can say that he can make those Huskys Rip! Any plans for the occasional enduro?

Maybe two enduros... I'm thinking PA and NY..... busy with the new business and I have to budget for both time and family.

Maybe two enduros... I'm thinking PA and NY..... busy with the new business and I have to budget for both time and family.

Better make Speedsville!:bonk:

Which one in PA?

Another amendment, the TC/TXC Kayaba 48mm SSS forks are "DUAL CHAMBER" not closed like the Zokes or Ohlins TTX. The dual chamber can be made quite soft with better bottoming resistance with a few inexpensive and plain tricks as I'm learning. But 44nm springs for 200lbs or rider is way soft, I went up from .47 to .50 on my TXC310 at 220lb rider and didn't bottom out the past three rides. I'm heavier, but 310 is lighter then 449/511 too.

The weight (nm) for deciding which springs are best for anyone i believe is decided by two factors (and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Firstly, the weight of the rider. Secondly, the suspension angle. For example the suspension angle of one of your USA Harley choppers motorbikes... the angle of the forks in the triple clamps is in a very relaxed postion and thus lighter springs would be needed as opposed to a standard street Harley bike.......so when quoting spring weights I find different nm weights for different bikes and I might be wrong when i say the 310xlite has a different frame and head stock angle to a 449 - along the triple clamps being different. I also believe the TC449 standard springs set of a MX circuit are 48nm and in your example your saying these would be too light for you. Hare and Hounds/Cross country events require softer suspension then what is required on a MX circuit in my view. I'm not a suspension expert its meeting the sag (race and static) i work to with my weight being secondary. also some riders prefer softer suspension and some like theres hard for a mx background. The trail guys like me may want softer suspension. I've only been riding since early 2010 so my limited experience maybe incorrect. My suspension tuner knows my setup requirements and we are all different in the way we ride.

This is best an answer i can give i'm a rider not a suspension tuner.... speak to yours and see what they recommend/say.