Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy this bike? Is buying a 300 hour 2008 300 XC-w risky?

I have been looking for a 300 XC-w and found a 2008 for a under $4k, but it has 300 hours. I am wondering if that much time would be getting close to major engine repairs on the lower end or transmission.

The bike is not real pretty as the rims are marked up a lot and so is the swingarm but hey - its a dirt bike with 5k miles on it.

The steering head bearings, heim joint bearing and starter motor have been replaced in the last year or so. The top end has 6o hours on a new piston and re-sleeved cylinder. It starts up easily and sounds good.

I think the guy has maintained it well and replaced things at any hint of need. I just don't want to buy a high mileage bike and find out I need major engine work.

So - how long do the transmissions and lower end bearings last if the bike was taken care of well?

The price is at my top end range but I didn't think I could get a '08 for under $4k so I am willing to take a well used bike to get the '08.

What do you think?

Whoa! That seems like a lot.$ and Hours wise. I had been looking for a bike for months. That just seems steep. Do you need to have the button? I ended up with a 07 250xc with light use..for $2600.....Wanted the 300, but I am glad so far with 250 I can always just throw the 300 kit in when due for topend.

Thanks for responding... The reason for the '08 was the frame and resale-ability of the button feature.

Does that seem like a lot of $$? I have not seen any '07-08's for less. In fact the '03 asking prices are in the $3,000 to $3,300 range. This is in CA.

That seems pretty high to me. Also was the cylinder re-sleeved or replated? There's a big difference (more durable, cooler running, better port match) and I wouldn't want a bike with that has been sleeved.

i know i'm not in cali, but that seems like a lot of money to me too. I just bought an '09 200xcw with 19hrs on it for $2500. if your able, u might consider looking outside CA.

Thanks for responding... The reason for the '08 was the frame and resale-ability of the button feature.

Does that seem like a lot of $$? I have not seen any '07-08's for less. In fact the '03 asking prices are in the $3,000 to $3,300 range. This is in CA.

thats way out of line, even for California. I have an 06 with an 08 slaven motor with a rekluse, and LHRB setup, I'd let it go for 3500 all day long, and be happy I got that out of it! i bought it 2 years ago, without the rekluse, for 3000, but I bought it out of state.

also just bought a 2007 250 XC-W with a Rekluse already in it for 2K, Just have to be patient, and keep your eye out for the deal, when it does show up - you have to jump on it fast, and have cash!

( And I'm in Fresno)

Price is high, but he hours are good for a 4 year old bike. I buy my bike to ride, not look at and a 100 hous a year isn't bad, or abused as long as the owner has taken care of it.

I just picked up an 09 250xc with about 150 hours for $4k. Keep looking. I wouldnt buy a 300 hour bike and I'm a moto mechanic.

Under 4k is an ok price for one on the west coast as i rarely see one for sale for very long anywhere at higher prices. 300 hours is no biggie as the 300 has many more hundreds of hours in her unless abused. if the maintenance has been regularly done on it then i say go for it.

Joe

As someone who puts high miles on bikes (currently at 765 hrs on my 2008 200), I would say you don't necessarily need to be scared of 300 hrs, but there are other red flags imho.

1. price is way high.

2. bike is not pretty, so it has obviously not been babied.

I suppose it's good the cylinder was replated, otoh, for a non-abused bike 300 hrs seems like sooner than normal for replating.

I think $400 is a reasonable price for a 2008 bike with 100-150 hrs in good shape, but not for a beat-up bike with 300 hrs.

I wouldn't try to sell my 2008 for more than $2000 or so right now.

For california that is cheap for a 300. Big difference between the 07 & 08 frames too (my 09' turns much better tan my 07'). I was looking for a 300 for a few months since I sold my 07 300 XC. I wanted an XCW. Looked for a few months and ended up with an 09' 250 XCW. I paid $4700, it had some nice bolt ons done and it was a good price. These bikes are hard to find in california, especially socal. The last 250xcw and 300xcw have been bought by friends of mine within hours of going up for sale for more than $4700 too.

The hours are not a red flag, but racing would be. Any signs of that?

Seems high to me. I just picked up a very clean 2007 250 XC-W for $2500 . . . I would guess it has maybe 50 hours on it . . . and I'm in SoCal. Looked at a couple of 2006s and both were pretty beat up and I had to pass on them. If you hold out for the right deal you can find them. I've got about $3500 in the bike now after going thru and having just about everything I could think of done, new pipe, new tires, new air filter and cage, new chain and sprockets, carb cleaned and rejetted, new fluids, compression check, new spark plug, radiator guards, pipe guard, hand guards, tugger straps, and even a graphics kit. I couldn't be happier . . . thought I'd really want the e-button, but the bike kicks over first or second kick tops, I haven't missed the e-button.

DSC01041.jpg

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/2760065977.html

This was posted in the last day or so in the reno Craigslist. Maybe you could work out a price with out the trailer. The only issue is that Nevada does not title dirt bikes so the seller may not have all the paperwork for you to get it easily titled I. Ca. Do some research and ask the right questions to the seller about the paperwork

Thanks for the input guys. I have been watching CL in the Bay Area and LA for over a month and there were mostly low hour 2003's for $3k or more.

I figured the guy really took care of the bike and had 5 KTM's. A mechanic at a dealer told me even if the bottom end needed a rebuild it wasn't that expensive. I figure $3,700 for an '08 is a pretty good deal. While you don't "need" it the E-button is nice.

I figure $3,700 for an '08 is a pretty good deal.

Really depends on the condition . . . it's easy to drop 500-1000 bucks on the bike (ask me how I know!!!). I would think for that price it should be pretty clean and in good condition . . . if it's kinda beat, it's too high. You can find some almost new 2008+ for 4k-5k.