Sign in to follow this  

New 2009 WR250F price

My daughter has been riding a CRF150F for a couple years and ready to move up - found a new "left over" 2009 WR250F for $5,600. Is this a fair price?

Should be able to talk them down a little more. Back in the early summer, I seen a couple of new '09 WRs go for $5200 here.

But even if not, $5600 still isn't a bad price.

It all depends on your geographic area too. The same identical bike can vary in price as much as $800-$1000 depending on where in the country or even where in California you're at. It seems like a fair price for here in Cen-Cal. See if the dealer can't throw in some gear or the AIS removal kit.

Thanks for all the replies and the craigslist link - I'll see what kind of deal I can work out and report back.

I bought one about 2 months ago. One of the local dealers still had 3 left, and hadn't bought any at all in 2010-2012, due to market and that the bikes hadn't changed much. The best price I could get was $5775 out the door...taxes, fees, and all.

They also threw in a $100 gift card, and are installing the GYTR exhaust insert, AIS removal kid (and rejet carb), throttle stop screw change to YZ, and grey mod wire.

It seems the AIS removal kit is on backorder so while I've been waiting, I have already done the grey wire, trimmed throttle stop screw. The grey wire makes a very nice improvement. I actually just did the throttle screw, so I will probably try it out in the next few days.

anyway, back to the price... I called and emailed dealers in surrounding states, and wasn't able to find any better price. In fact, some said that if I could get it for $5775 otd, I should buy it. I'm very pleased with the bike!! It keeps up with my friends DRZ400's pretty well.

The $5600 bike was in North County San Diego. The best I could do was $5900 OTD cash. My goal at the start was $5600 OTD. I live in Murrieta but haven’t had much luck with the Temecula store. Tried to buy a WR450 from them last year but they didn’t want to deal so I bought it elsewhere. Took my daughter to the Temecula store to check out a WR250 and wouldn’t you know they had a 2009 model on the floor with a big yellow tag saying $4499; now I knew we would have a few add on tax etc. But he comes back with the number of $6200 OTD??? They didn’t list the $1400 dealer prep fee. We talked a bit and it was obvious that they didn’t want my business again.

Was just about to go the the North County shop for $5900 when thought I would give the craigslist ad a call (was really looking for new). Thanks to 150ron and RiderX’s advice I was able to pick up very gentle used 2009 and save $1100. So far looks like a great bike non of the mods have been done even the throttle stop screw is original. Great driving bike – can’t touch my 450 but fun done the less. (maybe after the mods….). I will start tomorrow with greasing head and swing arm bearings, oil, anti freeze drain gas and the mods. Thanks again for the replies and advice – good stuff.

The $5600 bike was in North County San Diego. The best I could do was $5900 OTD cash. My goal at the start was $5600 OTD. I live in Murrieta but haven’t had much luck with the Temecula store. Tried to buy a WR450 from them last year but they didn’t want to deal so I bought it elsewhere. Took my daughter to the Temecula store to check out a WR250 and wouldn’t you know they had a 2009 model on the floor with a big yellow tag saying $4499; now I knew we would have a few add on tax etc. But he comes back with the number of $6200 OTD??? They didn’t list the $1400 dealer prep fee. We talked a bit and it was obvious that they didn’t want my business again.

Wow!!! That's gouging on the dealer prep. I think my dealer got something like 200-300 for it, which I thought was fair and reasonable.

Was just about to go the the North County shop for $5900 when thought I would give the craigslist ad a call (was really looking for new). Thanks to 150ron and RiderX’s advice I was able to pick up very gentle used 2009 and save $1100. So far looks like a great bike non of the mods have been done even the throttle stop screw is original. Great driving bike – can’t touch my 450 but fun done the less. (maybe after the mods….). I will start tomorrow with greasing head and swing arm bearings, oil, anti freeze drain gas and the mods. Thanks again for the replies and advice – good stuff.

I think I would have spent the $1100 for the new one and not had to worry about what somebody had done or not done to it... but I can't say I'm much of a bike mechanic either. Sounds like you made the best choice for you though.

I think you will be surprised with the improvements after just the free mods are done. My bike pulls hard up in the rpm's now, like my old 2 stroke did...but has nice power down low too. I haven't done anything to the airbox, because I do a lot of woods riding, puddles and mud included.

• Like 1

I think you will be surprised with the improvements after just the free mods are done. My bike pulls hard up in the rpm's now, like my old 2 stroke did...but has nice power down low too. I haven't done anything to the airbox, because I do a lot of woods riding, puddles and mud included.

I had concerns about taking the insert out cause I ride in lots of mud but I haven't noticed a problem. I clipped a corner off the clear sight plug on the bottom of the airbox so it would drain.

A full exhaust and a YZ exhaust cam make a big difference too.

Changing to the YZ exhaust cam.... hmmmm.

What would you say the gains and costs are? I would imagine it would require rejetting, right?

You can go with Hot Cams or a YZ exhaust cam.

As far as jetting goes I used an 09 YZ250F needle and the bike runs pretty good.

I used a merge adjustable fuel screw and leak jet. It makes getting the bike dialed in much faster and easier.

With those mods the bike runs about as good as it's going to get.

You can use your stock WR exhaust cam and go to YZ timing. It's free!! All you have to do is grind 1mm off of the decompression pin and rotate the cam 1 tooth clockwise so there is 12 cam chain pins between the dots instead of 13. It goes nicely with the grey wire mod. Very much worth it! Only takes about 20 min of work start to finish.

Kelly Blue Book shows $3775 for a used '09 WR250F for my zip code. Keep in mind as soon as you ride it a couple hours, the value will drop quickly to the used value

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2009/yamaha/wr250f/251453/

Nada Guides shows $4780 avg retail and $3635 low retail for my zip code.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2009/Yamaha/WR250FY-249cc/Standard-Equipment

New and used value guides are just that ... a guideline, but can probably be used as leverage for your negotiation with the dealer.

You sure you want to go with new? Kids tend to move up every couple of years....but maybe your daughter has reached full size or you can keep the bike in the family and pass to other members if she moves up. Personally I wouldn't buy new unless I got a killer deal that is not much more than what the used bikes are going for or unless I had some type of 'succession plan' for the bike.

You can use your stock WR exhaust cam and go to YZ timing. It's free!! All you have to do is grind 1mm off of the decompression pin and rotate the cam 1 tooth clockwise so there is 12 cam chain pins between the dots instead of 13. It goes nicely with the grey wire mod. Very much worth it! Only takes about 20 min of work start to finish.

Know any links to a writeup or video on it? How would you describe the change? More top end? My bike is already getting a lot of a 2stroke top end feel. I do a lot of very tight and rough trails, and I'm not so sure I want more zip up on the top end.

Stein 4 my apologies....hadnt realized there was two pages of postings already and you bought the used one. Sounds great. Enjoy the WR250F.

For my sons '05 WR250F, I changed to the YZ250F throttle stop screw, gray wire mod, PMB spark arrestor insert, and opened up the airbox. Made a big difference. It didnt have the AIS, so that wasnt something we had to deal with.