Sign in to follow this  

1982 yz250

my uncle gave me this bike for free...it's not running, pretty much needs a complete restoration.

would it be worth it to go into it and restore this bike for riding in the desert? or will it be too expensive to restore to really be worth it? (by worth it i mean be cheap enough to restore to the point where i wont spend more than it would cost to buy a newer used bike)

it depends, If the bottom end of motor is toast, it adds up quickly. Plastic kits are gonna run you $200, chain and sprockets $125,tires $100. Add that to maybe $500 in motor work and your probably better off buying a newer running bike. Do a list and be realistic,therein lies your answer

my uncle gave me this bike for free...it's not running, pretty much needs a complete restoration.

would it be worth it to go into it and restore this bike for riding in the desert? or will it be too expensive to restore to really be worth it? (by worth it i mean be cheap enough to restore to the point where i wont spend more than it would cost to buy a newer used bike)

To do a NICE rebuild your are looking at approx $1500-1700. To do a restoration double that. I give you this amount after rebuilding many of these year/model range motocross bikes. Great to have when finished, but DO NOT rebuild this on a budget....you WILL go over. After the rebuild or restoration you will lose approx $200-400 if you attempt to re-sell (flip) the bike. Hope this info helps

I think first we gotta get what the OP means by "total restoration". What do you really want to do with it. Just desert stuff as you mentioned? I wouldn't call that a "total restoration". As wavehog said, It better be pretty pristine if you expect to make money on a true restoration. To make it a decent runner and desert bike, it really depends on how bad the engine and gearbox are and if you are doing all the work yourself. I've been in this position before too. How do you know how good or bad the whole package is unless it is running. And to get it running you MAY have to spend some money. The catch-22 of bike repair!

WHY IS IT NOT RUNNING?

Edited by motoxvet

Yep,i agree with the last two..

Except to add to it,,,i'd do a lot of work on the suspension. Back in the day,out of the crate this bike had horrible soft suspension( non-progreesive) and handled like a pig from all that weight on the handle bars. But...it had a GREAT tractor like motor.

I did all the work on a buddys bike when he raced that bike.

it would be a neat bike to have if you wanted that bike but I am sure you would be able to find a better runner for cheaper than it would be to fix it up. bet you are looking at 150$ in seals and bearings just in the head tube alone. probably the best thing cost effective wise is to take it apart and polish each piece up before you put the parts on ebay and then buy a complete bike that is running well