Sign in to follow this  

Burning oil?

Cleaned up bike today for winter prep. It was cold outside 35 degrees, when I started the big smoke came oUt. While on choke and gassing it puffs of smoke would come out, again when I would hit the gas. Took it off choke and it lessened it to some degree. My question is, is it more likely rings or valve sealS? Just trying to figure out what I need to fix over winter. Thx .

When was the last time you had either serviced? I'm guessing rings, but that's just a guess without more info.

Was it oil smoke? blueish colored or black smoke and smell like fuel,When its that cold out and my bikes not up to temp i will get puff of black smoke when i blip the throttle.

my bike does that to,when it gets cold outside.if your gonna rebuild it this winter make sure to replace the valve stem seals,and take a good look at the valve guides and valves.you need to measure them and make sure there is no excessive clearance.then just replace the piston and rings,along with the timing chain and all new gaskets.you might also throw a yammie clutch kit in it to.that should be about all it needs to keep burnin up the dirt.peace and wheelies.