Sign in to follow this  

Are there any benefits to this?

Pulling the cylinder and re-ringing the piston every 5 hours and replacing piston and rings and wristpin bearing every 20 hours? Obviously only under extreme riding conditions? Like riding on a supercross style track everyday. Which is what I will be doing probably forever now that I have bought a house with 5 clear acres on it and a new neighbor owns a excavation business and I made a deal with him I'll make repair welds on his machines for free if I get to use his dozer and loader for free when I want if there availible. It just popped into my head. I know it would end up costing more in the long run then replacing the top end every 20 hours, just wanted to know if you guys think this is a little over the top? I dont race, just ride for fun anymore....just want my bike to be in tip top shape all the time.:bonk:

I change piston and rings when compression has decreased 10%. At that time I notice a performance drop.

Every 20 hours isn't excessive if you're a blitzing fast A rider. But for someone who's just out having a good time, it's excessive.

You need to find a cycle time for you. It is different for everyone. Some people can run top ends hundreds of hours, while other change rings every ten. After you do it a while you'll know what to look for and can base a schedule around that.

its a good idea, but i doubt you will be able to ride the bike hard enough to replace the piston this often. its just throwing money out the window. just spend that money on fuel and riding fee's for a track....i race college boy and am usually a top five rider and i only replace the piston every 40hours.