Sign in to follow this  

crf250r sell or keep

I bought an 08 crf250r about 5 months ago and have been discovering new things to spend money on every time i ride. i have about $250 in the bike already and will have to spend close to $500 before the bike runs and handles good before the motocross season starts in march. im wondering if it would be easier and less expensive to just sell it and buy a bike that is in better condition and is ready to race. what are your thoughts on this situation?

I would keep it if it is small things. Another bike is bound to have small things that it needs also. There's always the unknown about a different bike.

it needs a front tire, a new rear shock(the rider before put a shorter shock on to lower the bike), valve adjustment, carb tuning, suspension re-valving, and a new plastic kit. i figured this all to be around $500 with the redicouless high prices of bike parts.

it needs a front tire, a new rear shock(the rider before put a shorter shock on to lower the bike), valve adjustment, carb tuning, suspension re-valving, and a new plastic kit. i figured this all to be around $500 with the redicouless high prices of bike parts.

Front tire/ (maintance) should have seen that one before buying. You don't need a NEW shock, just have the stock rod put back in. What make you think it needs re-valving???? should be good stock. Plastic again (maintance) should have seen it.... Plastic and graphic does not make a bike fast or fun....riding does that

All bikes will need tires, carb tuning, and a re-valve. Most will need new plastic if you want it to look perty (sic). That goes with the territory.

However, a new shock $800+ - fixing yours with a new rod will cost ~$250. Throw it in with the re-valve and it'll probably only be $100. If it needs a valve adjustment, then it'll need a valve job in a few running hours. That's $500 or so, and that's why the first guy sold it.

Hopefully you bought the bike for cheap, so spend the money required to fix it up and enjoy it. You should be able to get it spiffed up like new for a grand.

JayC

If your going racing be prepared to keep having to put your hand in your pocket...

Especially if you want to be competitive...

Most race bikes are a high maintenance deal and yours is 3 seasons old.....