Is an exaust worth the money?

I have always just run the stock pipe on my bikes but on my 2012 crf250r I am thinking about getting an after market exaust. The bike has a really strong bottom end but I want it to have a better topend and not rev out so fast. Should I just get a slip on or should I buy the whole system? And what exaust is best? I can get the yoshimura rs-4 ss/al slip- on for $275 or the exaust and header for $415. Will a new exaust steal power from the bottom to give it to the top? Or if i just get a remapp will that improve the topend? Sorry for all the questions Im just kind of lost? Thanks

And don't waste the money on a slip on. A good remap for $75 is almost like a good aftermarket exhaust system. Might want to consider going down 1 tooth on the rear sprocket too. Makes a big difference in stretching the gears.

i always thought an exhaust wont make big diffrences till a used procircuit pipe come up for sale for my yzf250 ,so i thought i would give it a try, the second i got on the bike with the new exhaust on, it felt like a completly diffrent bike i was shocked how it changed the engine. would always get a pipe for my next bikes, this is a full system so not to sure about a slip on

I just got done with a 2 hour+ hare scramble with my 2012 and a new FMF RCT 4.1 and Megabomb header (all in stainless steel). Paid a bit over $600 for everything. Amazing difference in power delivery - More power everywhere, better grunt off bottom and more over-rev on top. I'm not running the quiet insert, so the exhaust is noticeably louder - But not obnoxiously so. For me, I'm looking for any extra power I can get to compete with the 450's and 300 2-strokes that run in my class. (50+ year olds). Next up is a remap, and I'm seriously considering the 280cc Athena Kit as well.

So, while the 2012 has great power, a good aftermarket exhaust will make the power delivery even better. But you will need to decide for yourself if the extra performance is really needed. If you are running against other 250Fs, and not in an open class like me, then the trade off between the quiet stock exhaust and a bit mellower power vs. louder, but more power may not be as attractive.

Edited by Grinstead_77G

Bang for the buck I would think a 14.5:1 piston would offer more than an after market exhaust

Then you're stuck with having to run race fuel and more frequent piston change intervals. Definitely a way to get more power but at a significant trade-off.

Ok thanks for the anwers guys. I think I am just going to get a remap and see what that will do. Do any of you reccomend anybody in perticular for a remap?

Ron Hamp at TUF Racing would be my first choice.

Second would be the Vortex X10 ECU with 10 maps included. I have heard that their maps are very good. Of course the ignition cost about what a complete exhaust system costs.

Either way, you are going to need an ECU Programmer, or will need to send your ECU off to be programmed.

Isn't it amazing how extra power always costs extra $$$ :bonk: