Sign in to follow this  

Removing Yoshi exhaust after 16k miles?

I have a full Yoshi exhaust on my sm and need to take it off. I am having trouble disconnecting the mid pipe from the header. It has been on there for almost 16k miles now and RTV black silicon was used when putting it on. I have tried letting the bike warm up for 5 minutes and had no luck with that. I also tried tapping on the heat shield nut that is welded onto the mid pipe while it was warm. Nothing seems to be working. Any ideas?

You could try squirting some teflon lube spray or similar into the join and you just have to keep working the join to get some movement going...Good Luck..

I would never use a sealant such as silicon in an exhaust join that often needs disassembly..

I had my RS2 off after 19k miles.

Agree, separating the head pipe from the mid pipe is a bit of a pain.

My method was one person pulling on the muffler while the other taps the mid pipe with a rubber mallet. Spray plenty of WD40 or similar on the join, it will get in there despite the silicone.

Keep the join aligned as you try to separate it.

I used Liquid Wrench and then heated it with a heat gun. good luck. +1 on the anti-seize when you re-install.

Torch works rather well. Get the slip on side cherry red and she'll come right off with some wiggling. If no torch, pb blaster works good. Apply and let soak, repeat multiple times.