Sign in to follow this  

Adjusting high-speed compression

Hi. I am bit confused about adjusting high-speed compression on my rear shock (KTM EXC 300 2006).

I looked into 2006 manual and it says that at first I have to turn the adjusting screw all the way counterclockwise and then UNscrew(?) it 2,5 turns clockwise.

I looked also into 2012 manual and it is completly reverse. It says that I have to turn adjusting screw all the way clockwise and than unscrew 2 turns out.

Now I don't know where the true is. If KTM guys have mistake in 2006 manual or if WP guys changed adjustment in years and both manuals are right. Could you explain it to me please?

2006 manual:

2006sx.th.jpg

2012 manual:

2012e.th.jpg

I read the different manuals i have and they say the same , some say in some say out , i am going to say screw it IN all the way then count the turns OUT to the recommended setting , that is what the 2012 300 manual says , the 06 250xc manual says turn it counterclockwise then in , ,, all i can tell you is all the Jap bikes , go IN all the way then count out to set , so i am guessing KTM is the same , and just misprinted some years of manuals , and no one noticed , maybe because of the language difference , the translation gets messed up , or it could be backwards for those years , since the 250 manual for 06 said the same , i dont know , but i still say all the way IN , then count out to the proper turns , the 2010 450SXF manual says go in all the way then out X turns as well , so i would use that another one saying all the way in then out X turns

Seat it (lightly) clockwise (CW) the back it out CCW 2.5 turns. There is a spring that you are adding preload to that allows a piston to unseat and bypass the adjusting screw. The valve meters the oil displaced by the shaft. They work best at .75 to 1.5 turns.

Any suspension adjuster needs to be adjusted from a fixed and repeatable base reference point. If you turn the adjuster (other than the HS comp) all the way in (CW), it will stop when it seats, unless it was assembled wrong. This fully closed position gives you an absolute reference point that can be used to adjust the other fork to an identical setting, or repeat the adjustment on a shock after servicing, etc.

After servicing, shuffling parts, etc., you might end up, for example, end up with 24 clicks of adjustment range on one fork, and 21 on the other. But as long as both adjusters will completely close, 8 clicks out will be the same thing on both.

The HS on the shock is a little differently made, but the same thing applies. Besides, how would you unscrew it farther than all the way CCW, anyway? Obviously a misprint/translation error. They meant "the other CCW" :bonk:

There were many years that WP adjustments were "backwards" compared to all other brands. I would ck with someone very knowledgeable about KTM and WP components. Many here are too young or new to KTM to know this. Not a knock on them, just the facts. You really want to get this right. KTMTalk would be a much more reliable source for this info. Good luck.