Sign in to follow this  

Revs not dying away 300exc

Hi there, have got a frustrating issue on my 300exc; the revs don't die away back to idel when you close the throttle.

The bike has done only 10 hours.The last ride I went on bike was running fine. Parked it for 3 weeks and now this problem appears.

I have drained the carb, cleaned out the jets, checked float bowl. And made sure the throttle cable is not snagged well adjusted and with free play. Played with idle and air screws and still the bike won't settle down to a nice idle, if you open the throttle from idle (say 1000 rpm) to say 5000 rpm it feels like it settles back to 2000 and won't go on to idle. I tried taking the idle screw right back but still nothing seems to sort it.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

Guy

If all else is good, that usually means the pilot is lean. The last time all was ok, what temperature was it compared to the temp now? If it's at least 15 to 20 degrees less, then try one size bigger pilot jet. Could be also that the pilot is plugged a bit.

adjust air screw, change/clean pilot (MEK works great), check for intake leaks around reed block and bottom of cylinder.

Pilots are Hard to clean out. Find a small piece of wire and clean it out. Sounds like a clogged or partially clogged.

Temp is petty much the same. wil go back a double check pilot maybe I missed something..

Thanks all:thumbsup:

Although I also believe it's a lean pilot jet the crank seal may be sucking air

10 hours on the bike?? I would hope not, though normally it would be a suspect.

also make sure your idle isnt to high to begin with

Good point, that deserves some attention.