Sign in to follow this  

heated grips on a 04 crf 230

Hey, I bought my old man a pair of heated grips for riding this winter. They draw 24/14 watts hi/low.

The dealer was concerned that they would drain his battery rather quickly. I would like to wire them right to the stator so they only draw power when the bikes running.

I have heard of running the positive lead to the head light wiring. But am unsure if the bike has wiring for a headlight given it didn't come with one.

I searched on google but its hard to pinpoint my concerns.

Thanks for any help!

I run mine off the High beam wire with a center off double throw switch so it is Light or Off or Grips. This way you never have light and heater on, so it would take quite a while to drain the battery with motor off.

Also use the high power heater on the left (also heating the bar) and the low power on the throtle tube which is insulated from the bar.

No reason why you couldn't run them on AC straight off the stator as long as you keep the heaters floting from chassis. Since heaters are just risistors they don't care much about voltage, can't blow them up.

You guys now got my attention w/ heated grips. I've never used them, but I've been wanting some for many winters now. Can you guys link me up w/ a brand I can buy? Countdown, you mentioned plugging it into hibeam headlight. Are you using a Baja Design headlight and baja wire looms?

You guys now got my attention w/ heated grips. I've never used them, but I've been wanting some for many winters now. Can you guys link me up w/ a brand I can buy? Countdown, you mentioned plugging it into hibeam headlight. Are you using a Baja Design headlight and baja wire looms?

I used BD Headlight and front signals, UFO brake/tail/turn rear assembly, banjo bolt front brake switch, and a Euro-Honda handle bar switch assembly. I always wire my own bikes using a junk yard harness. They have very fine stranded wire and all the corect standard colors.