Sign in to follow this  

Please show a GoPro gyro or Scorpion mount?

Would anyone be willing to show cool mounts they have made for use with the GoPro? I have seen quite a few videos with, "gyro", "unicorn" or "scorpion" mounts that offer the ability to make it look like someone is hovering above the rider or trailing behind, but very few folks will share. It would be great if someone would post a vid showing their set up and it's performance.

tis the season for giving!

Thanks!

Hey all. Since nobody was interested in sharing, I went out, actually a buddy did first, and made one and decided to put it on-line for all to see, comment, offer suggestion, and improve on. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

1st try...gonna go back to the lab to tweak, but what do you think?

Hey Axel...it was a bit of a distraction when it was right in front. I am going to raise the boom though which outta take it more out of my line of sight. When it was on the side or back, I hardly knew it was there....Going with a bar mount would be ok, but there is too much vibration. And ultimately, I am going for 360 degrees of viewing.

farmer-yeah I saw that on a different forum. Pretty cool for sure and one of the best I have seen, but he only has 1 view at a time and has to edit the heck out of it. Check out Vimeo there is a cool vid by Cole Kirkpatrick...that is what I am going for...

Edited by Shapi

I think I recall reading somewhere that he had a servo motor on his and it was controlled by a switch on the bars. I forget how it was wired though... This might not have even been the film though, you'd have to look up the thread.

If you were going to go with something like this, you'd need some sort of friction/slipper clutch on there so if it gets whacked it doesn't tear the motor (or your head!) off.

I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but never gotten around to doing it. Here are a few ideas I've toyed with:

Use a free bearing and gyro on the counterweight side. This will make the camera resist rotation so as you fly through the woods, it more or less keeps the same direction, but you move "around" it. Could be cool, could suck IDK:smirk:

Another idea I just had while thinking about the servo controlled rig that would take a little effort, but could be really cool is to make a controller board that would run the servo in a random direction at a random rate for a random time. This would require building up a controller board and learning how to program a chip to run everything but it shouldn't be too hard to gain this knowledge from the RC, robotics, and or UAV communities. You could also program modes that would do constant rotation. Might get annoying having it circle around but it could provide some interesting footage.

As for your bearing problem, skateboard bearings aren't exactly designed for resisting side to side rotation. Depending on your fabrication skills and design limitations, there are a couple of things you could try to reduce the play.

You could try stacking two bearings, the farther apart, the more stable but obviously taller it would be. Looking at your mount bracket, it may be possible to sink one bearing down below it as close to the helmet as possible. A good 2-3" should really take some slop out.

You could try a roller or needle bearing, but that would require a close fitting inner bushing. If you can't machine one, you could always try using a bearing from your rear suspension and tacking something on to an old bushing.

If it was me though I would use thrust bearings on the top and bottom of the stack. That will probably be the most compact and best design.

I'd also like to add a little warning to anyone that wants to go flying through the woods with a giant pole attached to himself. Aside from the obvious need for a good breakaway mechanism, you should also be careful about placement! For example you wouldn't want to attach the pole to the center of your bars going forward to get that near from the front view. A nose dive or bad game of chicken with a tree would make a quick you-sickle -- without the cool, refreshing satisfaction. If you really need that shot, make sure there is enough pole to go past you, so in the event of a goof it does go past you instead of through you:smirk:

^^^ YOU were right... I remeber this same vid being posted awhile back so I searched it on here and found the pick of the helmet cam with a servo on it here's the pic that someone posted on that thread... :bonk::smirk:

motorisedspinning-helmet-camera.jpg

anyone have any more info on how they did that? I have lots of electronic parts from our RC collection to play with

the thing about the electronics is there is one more thing to fiddle with, break, and add weight. Rainy day today, so I might grab the kid and head to lowes for a parts expedition and re-do for tomorrow's ride. Stay tuned!