Sign in to follow this  

why are bikes so expensive in australia?

in australia you pay anything between 10 and 12 grand for a new bike, but in america they only seem to be 6 or 7? (correct me if im wrong), just curious as to why? and if so why dont we just buy a bike in amerca and ship it over here and save a couple of grand?

In canada, its between 10-12 if your regular joe blow, 9-11k if your getting a deal. Americas pay upwards of close to 10k. Other then some dealer discounts most bikes are going to be in that 8-10k range OTD

The government is too busy pretending to be busy. As soon as they figure out other countries charge more for fun stuff, theyll do the same here haha!

Import taxes maybe. I know the Aussie $ is worth less than the US $ too, so it may be a combination of several things.

New bikes here in the states are going for $7000 or so for 250fs, to around $9200 for something like a KTM 450XC-W. And that's quite a bit more than they were just a few years ago due to the drop in value of the $ compared to the Japanese Yen and the Euro.

But you Aussies usually make more $$ than we do here in the States, so it evens out somewhat.

Yeah I was going to say we probably make a bit more money, I get $24 a hour for stacking shelves at a supermarket...

Yeah I was going to say we probably make a bit more money, I get $24 a hour for stacking shelves at a supermarket...

Anything over 35k a year needs a four year degree typically. I wonder what it costs to ship overseas if it would save money. Seems like itd break even tho

everything in oz is expensive... when i went home last year for a month i was floored by how spendy it is... true, wages are much higher in oz... but you sure need the extra... 45 - 50 bucks for a case of brew...

RIP OFF

in australia you pay anything between 10 and 12 grand for a new bike, but in america they only seem to be 6 or 7? (correct me if im wrong), just curious as to why? and if so why dont we just buy a bike in amerca and ship it over here and save a couple of grand?

Sure you can ship one over...then you have to get it ADR approved and pay import duties....Price wise not that much better off with all the friggin around..

If it was cheaper to do , everyone here in Oz would be do'in it....

Our $ is on parity with the yanks so that's not a factor...

The US importers get a better deal on wholesale prices from the manufacturer because of their higher volume of sales..

Like the turnover sales for the whole of Australia ,on whatever model, would be maybe equal to the sales of 1 state in the U.S...

Like chooken said , buying used can find you some good bargains..

I recently finished a 4-year degree here in Canada and I don't make much more. Someone doing your job here would be lucky to get $10 an hour.

new KTM off the shelf in ireland today is

KTM 250 SX-f €5340 + VAT

KTM 350 SX-f €5550 + VAT

KTM 450 SX-f €5650 + VAT

23% vat, but if push hard you can deal on the tax's...

for the 450 thats over 9k us dollars... pretty similar here.

for info

That's 3 times what an American would be paid. Your bikes should cost 3 times as much to even it out. Different countries, different currencies, different values.

the 12 kx250f here has a msrp (in the dealers) of 8699. In quebec, we have 13.X% tax on top of that. It sucks, but waiting a while in the season helps and shopping around.. I got quoted, on paper, 7700$ CAD out the door at the shop i deal with. Not that great compared to the states deals you can find, but then again they are 1k+ cheaper msrp in the states!

so, yep around 10-11k depending on the size up here. KTM runs a little more here.. at least it means i take care of my bikes when i get a new one! hah

I recently finished a 4-year degree here in Canada and I don't make much more. Someone doing your job here would be lucky to get $10 an hour.

Starting pay in the military up here is about 36k. After 4 years, it's at about 60k.

It's not for everybody, but you get paid well, and great benefits. If you have the ability, you take a tech trade which nets you an extra 6k or so a year and gives you skills to use when you leave.

With a degree of any kind, you'll be doing alright from the get go. But, you'd be an officer. :bonk:

:smirk:

the 12 kx250f here has a msrp (in the dealers) of 8699. In quebec, we have 13.X% tax on top of that. It sucks, but waiting a while in the season helps and shopping around.. I got quoted, on paper, 7700$ CAD out the door at the shop i deal with. Not that great compared to the states deals you can find, but then again they are 1k+ cheaper msrp in the states!

so, yep around 10-11k depending on the size up here. KTM runs a little more here.. at least it means i take care of my bikes when i get a new one! hah

If you're willing to be patient, you can get a great deal.

I got a left over 2010 Kx450 for 7000, when they wanted 6000 for a used 09. It ended up being a little over 8k OTD.

bike are exspencive here in AUS yes but you can save sooooo much on parts an acessaries at the moment if you buy from the US!!! i have spent 1000US on my WR for plastics, graphics and on riding gear and that includes freight, but if i had bought it here in AUS it woulda cost me 2-3000!!!!

bike are exspencive here in AUS yes but you can save sooooo much on parts an acessaries at the moment if you buy from the US!!! i have spent 1000US on my WR for plastics, graphics and on riding gear and that includes freight, but if i had bought it here in AUS it woulda cost me 2-3000!!!!

If your not shopping U.S, your paying too much.......:bonk: