Sign in to follow this  

250 + 310 radiator protection upgrade

Read Dirt Bike's coverage of their participation in the 24 Hours of Glen Helen. Started with a 310, ripped a radiator hose off and melted down the engine in the first two hours.

Was at the Husky dealer to pick up a copy of "Ride More" and checked out the bikes on the floor. Found a free upgrade for the lower radiator hoses. Take off the hose clamps and reinstall them so the barrel of the screw is above the hose, instead of hanging down as the lowest point, making a handle for the ground to take hold of and rip the hose off the radiator.

---------------------

If I had a 250 or 310, I'd really be looking for armor for the top end oil line. It's just hanging out in space off the side of the engine above the skid plate, waiting to get dropped on a rock. You can JB Weld a clutch cover or stator cover if you have to, but JB Welding a pressurized circuit just doesn't work. I've seen it tried repeatedly with bigger and bigger puddles of oil each time. I'm thinking the killer app would be a billet filter cover that would protect the line up to the point the cover itself was busted off the side case. If that happened, you'd probably have crashed hard enough that keeping the bike running was the least of your concerns.

If I was race-prepping one of these bikes, I'd find a more protected place on the engine to tap into the pressure circuit and do whatever welding and machining was required to run the line from there. Might think about protection for the upper end of the line, too.

First off do you live under a bridge. As in Troll?

I have a bunch of bikes (see sig) and plenty of miles on them and not "once" have I lost a radiator hose or the HP oil line. Plenty of crashes, bushes, rocks, trees, and anything else that I charge at. These bikes are ***AWESOME*** :smirk:

Enough Said! :bonk:

I had something hit the oil fitting on top of the filter cover on my 2010 txc250 and the engine locked up.

Cruised through the Ride More issue I picked up while munching dinner.

The tricked out TXC310 on p.17 has the hose clamp screw on the side you can see oriented as far away from the dirt and rocks as it could be.

Juha Salminen's TE250 shown on p.15 has an armor cage over the filter cover and oil line banjo. Looks like it's fabbed from about 1/8-in aluminum sheet and held on by the same bolts that hold the filter cover onto the side case. I'd be trolling if I said it's negligence on Husky's part that the bikes don't all come with that piece.

If I had a 250 or 310, I'd really be looking for armor for the top end oil line. It's just hanging out in space off the side of the engine above the skid plate, waiting to get dropped on a rock. You can JB Weld a clutch cover or stator cover if you have to, but JB Welding a pressurized circuit just doesn't work. I've seen it tried repeatedly with bigger and bigger puddles of oil each time. I'm thinking the killer app would be a billet filter cover that would protect the line up to the point the cover itself was busted off the side case. If that happened, you'd probably have crashed hard enough that keeping the bike running was the least of your concerns.

If I was race-prepping one of these bikes, I'd find a more protected place on the engine to tap into the pressure circuit and do whatever welding and machining was required to run the line from there. Might think about protection for the upper end of the line, too.

That oil line location was the first thing I saw as a candidate for getting torn off from a branch or crash. I'm carrying a spare oil line and banjo bolts just in case.

I'm not an engineer or anything close but when I see the oil line location and the oil drain plug system I often wonder like are the designer/engineers just want to be done with this project and get the bike into production?

I think they could have done a better design on those two items mentioned above which I feel are pretty important.

Yes, both items were a little scary looking at them in 2010.. Clays **********s Radiator guards took all the worry away for hose damage but I still rotated the clamps and along with the Eric Pirie P3 carbon skid plate which was lengthened up the side to cover the oil line situation.

Check both of them out and be worry free.. Chow, Carl

Hyde's plastic skid pan protects the Oil Filter line/housing as well as stator cover on the left. Their plastic is stupid tough and no real extra weight over stock vs an Aluminum and no where near as noisy as CF,.....nor as brittle either.

As for positioning of hose clamps, that's a free trick any offroad savvy tech thinks about when installing the clamp or fastener,..........evidently the factory has not thought it through that far but since it takes 60 seconds to correct it at no cost it's of little concern if you pay attention to such things. Of the couple of G450X radiator failures I've seen, half of them could have been prevented by turning the hose clamp around 180 degrees so it didn't catch an obstruction and ding the heck out of the inlet/outlet it was attached to.

+1 for Hyde. I love the one I have on my YZ and will be getting one for the 610 as soon as I get that far with setup. Cycras are in the mail, supposedly.

The only thing iv'e done (on the TXC450) is index the clamps and double up the hoses, very bullet proof. This can be done on any bike.

DSC03093.jpg

note this foto is post race pre clean up!

As for the 310/250 oil line, FAR adds a hose doubler here as well for added protection (see the GNCC FAR TXC250s)

That is a Hyde skid plate, I drilled it out for water dispersal and for engine cooling, (copied from ZipTy racing)