Sign in to follow this  

04 ignition in 03 450

Hey everyone, I race a 2003 CRF450R in Supermoto.

I mistakenly bought a Vortex X10 ignition for a 2004 450R and discovered that it will not work with my 03 motor.

I've been told by Tokyomods that it should work if I change to an 04 stator, and use my 03 flywheel.

Could anybody here confirm this? I've already got the 04 wiring harness as well (different connectors at both ends).

Thanks! :bonk:

cimg0470k.jpg

Hmm, I did try to use the 04' X10 ignition with the 04' harness and my 03 stator/flywheel. I had to change the connectors at the stator to match the wire harness and I am pretty confident I had the wires connected correctly but I wasn't able to start the bike.

Perhaps I will try again tomorrow, could you check and confirm which wires you have connected? If I recall, one of the wires had a slightly different color or a stripe.

My 03-05 swap went straight across with the colors. I did have to use the 05 harness because the box has a different connector.

You should have a green with white stripe that comes off the ignition pulse gen side and goes to ground. The other side of the ignition pulse gen should be Blue with a yellow stripe. That should go to the box.

The main alternator set are a white and a blue.

If it doesn't work, I wonder if the box is bad?

Well I just went out to the garage to give it another try and VOILA! Fired right up on the first kick, I'm ecstatic!

The reason I believed it wasn't working was at the beginning of this year I had fully rebuilt the bike and changed MANY parts, when I went to start it for the first time she wouldn't go. And it took me about 3 months of back-tracking, swapping new parts, double/triple/quadruple/okay 100 times checking the timing, piston orientation, carb, valves, etc. etc... Only to find out that my stupid OEM killswitch was grounding out on the handlebars!

Throughout that ordeal I was trying to get the Vortex working and thought that it could have been my reason for weak to no spark.

Thanks for your help Shawn!

cimg0470k.jpg