Sign in to follow this  

Ride report 11 250sx VS 12 250sx

well ive now had my 2012 250sx for about 10hrs riding

and same with my mates 2011 250sx, so after numerious testing id thought id share findings.

Handling:

obviously the 2011 has the pds suspension

and the 2012 has the linkage, but really theres not that much differance in the handling department, other than i found the pds system to be a little bit firm on the top of the stroke of the rear, and the bike overall didnt feel any weight differance, but lifting onto the stand i did notice a slight differance the 11 was lighter, but overall the 12 feels a bit more balanced with some clicker adjustments etc, we also fitted a lower linkage on the 12, and that made an even bigger improvment, overall yes i found the 12 better, but not by a long shot, both bikes turn extreamly good.

Engine:

a big suprise to me here is this is where i find the biggest differances, the 2011 engine has a strong bottom to mid power, but seems to sign of early in the top end, we have fitted full fmf systems to both machines and the jetting remain stock on both bikes. the 12 has slightly less bottom end, but revs to the moon and makes power all the way thru, with the gearing they both come stock with 13/48 the 2011 was much shorter gearing wise, to even them up the 12 needs a 50t rear, we do prefer it this way, as it makes 3rd gear the main used. so obviously there was gearbox changes, i think the 2011 would be more suited to the C grade rider where the 12 would suit A and B on a better level, but i wouldnt kick either to the kerb, they both make good power at a smooth nature

this is all i can think of for now, half asleep, if u need more just ask :bonk:

Which brand of lower linkage did you use on the 12?Good info on both bike's,don't think you could go wrong with either bike!!

ride engeneering

I have one of em on the way,will be here monday.How did it help out the bike and ride?Would love to hear all you have to say on it!!!:bonk:

i only did one ride on the bike with the stock linkage, and coming of jap bikes i found the rear rode rally high, and i had issues with the front biting in, then i changed the rear spring to a 5.2 and installed the linkage, the thing is that much better, but also will need to play with the clickers as it makes the top of the stroke a bit firmer

i dont believe u need a linkage in my opinion... i had the 11 n have the 12, got my suspension valved by mx-tech .. best $$$$ u will spend..

i dont believe u need a linkage in my opinion... i had the 11 n have the 12, got my suspension valved by mx-tech .. best $$$$ u will spend..

post your opinions on the differences of these 2 bikes. i dont think the OP would mind and its always a good end result when you have more than 1 persons opinion to base your decision off of.

Today i got to take my 2012 250sx out for the 1st ride...Not the best conditions for a maiden voyage,39f and 50% snow to dirt ratio.Gotta say i love the machine,did 2 hour's at a pretty good pace and the bike was a pleasure to ride.Havent messed with the suspension at all,stock setting's front and rear,and was quite pleased with the ride!!The motor is killer,ran both ignition setting's and can see where each will be beneficial.Love the new geometry,bike turn's like it's on a rail!!I like the linkage,rode 4 2011's and there is a difference,small but there.All in all i am quite impressed with my new scooter,almost bought a 350 leftover and am really stoked i stayed true to my 2 stroke root's.Braaap Braaap!!!