Sign in to follow this  

Swapping RM forks on to my RMX

I'm wondering what, if any, problems I'll have.

I bought a 1996 RM 250 to rob the forks, shock, and wheels off it for my 1997 RMX 250. Has anybody done this?

The forks swapped over pretty easily, although I'm not getting enough preload on the headset bearings. I will probably make a 1/8" spacer to go on top of the upper bearing.

I haven't started on swapping the rear shock yet. The RMX pipe goes over the top of the reservoir while the RM pipe goes underneath the reservoir. I haven't even looked at the linkage/mounting of the two shocks yet.

I'll upload a couple photos when I wake up.

Obviously (after searching!) this has been done many times! DOH!

rmx2.jpg

Now on to the rear shock and rear wheel swap!

As you can see, the fork swap will not be a problem (ummmm, with the newer triple clamps). Using the wheel (and spacers) from the donor front end only makes sense.

As for the shock, I have a problem with that swap. The linkage on a '96 RM250 is totally different than what's on your RMX, so your valving will need to be different. Talk to your suspension guy or local suspension shop, if they do not have a valving recommendation before you do the swap then I'd recommend that you just rebuild your stock RMX shock.

I've done the front swap - pretty straight forward. The rear won't go without a pipe rerouting, and the frame/bodywork/airbox/kick starter is not made for that.

Do get some Daystar boots to protect the upper fork tubes pronto.

That looks like an Applied racing triple clamp( I have the same one) on my 96. The forks can be set up great for woods, but as already stated just redo the RMX rear and enjoy. The bikes are awesome in the woods:thumbsup: