yzf hotstart?

hey guys i got a 06 yz250f with hotstart, my question is what is the point of hot start? how does it work? i tried starting my bike while not using it and using it but it didint seem to do anything different, is there a special way to use it? any info would be great thanks

To further enhance the enjoyment of these products, please follow the step-by-step instructions as explained by Doug Dubach, Four-Stroke Motocross Champion and Yamaha test rider. These helpful tips will ensure quick and easy starting of your Yamaha four-stroke motorcycle.

COLD ENGINE STARTING:

1.Make sure the bike has fuel, then turn on fuel petcock.

2.Pull out choke knob (black knob on left side of the carburetor).

3.Prime the engine by giving the throttle two full turns (only if the bike has not been started in a day or two).

4.Apply firm pressure to the kick-starter with your foot until you hit distinct resistance (this is the compression stroke/hard spot).

5.While keeping pressure on the kick-starter, pull in the compression release lever and push the kick-starter past the compression stroke/hard spot. The kick-starter needs to only move about 1 to 2 inches past the hard spot. That is all!

6.Release the compression release lever and return the kick-starter to the top

7.Now, kick to start. Do not touch the throttle, as the engine will start and idle on it's own

8.If the bike does not start, repeat steps 4 through 7 only until the engine starts.

HOT ENGINE STARTING

1.Pull out the hot start knob (red knob on the left side of the carburetor).

2.Follow steps 4 through 7 until engine starts.

3.You may have to apply some throttle after the engine starts until you get the hot start knob pushed back in because the carburetor is sending a lean mixture while the hot start knob is out.

The only difference between hot and cold starting is which knob you use, choke or hot start. There is no need to deviate from these simple steps. Remember, DO NOT touch the throttle during hot or cold starting. Also, there is no reason to prime the engine again on the same day of riding.

OTHER HELPFUL TIPS

It helps to become comfortable with steps 4 through 7. By becoming familiar with these steps you will become more efficient and will be able to perform them quicker. The faster you can get through steps 4 through 7 the quicker you will get going.

You need to give the engine what it wants! Understand that the choke will give the engine a rich mixture and the hot start will give the engine a lean mixture. If you have kicked the engine several times during a cold starting procedure and it still won't start, maybe it has too much fuel. Don't be afraid to push the choke back in and use the hot start, even though the engine is cold, this will give the engine a lean mixture and that might be just what it wants.

Again, make sure you don't go more than an inch or two past the hard spot when setting up your kick, and return the kick tarter all the way to the top, especially on the 250F. This will ensure that you get a proper kick and make your race day more enjoyable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To further enhance the enjoyment of these products, please follow the step-by-step instructions as explained by Doug Dubach, Four-Stroke Motocross Champion and Yamaha test rider. These helpful tips will ensure quick and easy starting of your Yamaha four-stroke motorcycle.

COLD ENGINE STARTING:

1.Make sure the bike has fuel, then turn on fuel petcock.

2.Pull out choke knob (black knob on left side of the carburetor).

3.Prime the engine by giving the throttle two full turns (only if the bike has not been started in a day or two).

4.Apply firm pressure to the kick-starter with your foot until you hit distinct resistance (this is the compression stroke/hard spot).

5.While keeping pressure on the kick-starter, pull in the compression release lever and push the kick-starter past the compression stroke/hard spot. The kick-starter needs to only move about 1 to 2 inches past the hard spot. That is all!

6.Release the compression release lever and return the kick-starter to the top

7.Now, kick to start. Do not touch the throttle, as the engine will start and idle on it's own

8.If the bike does not start, repeat steps 4 through 7 only until the engine starts.

HOT ENGINE STARTING

1.Pull out the hot start knob (red knob on the left side of the carburetor).

2.Follow steps 4 through 7 until engine starts.

3.You may have to apply some throttle after the engine starts until you get the hot start knob pushed back in because the carburetor is sending a lean mixture while the hot start knob is out.

The only difference between hot and cold starting is which knob you use, choke or hot start. There is no need to deviate from these simple steps. Remember, DO NOT touch the throttle during hot or cold starting. Also, there is no reason to prime the engine again on the same day of riding.

OTHER HELPFUL TIPS

It helps to become comfortable with steps 4 through 7. By becoming familiar with these steps you will become more efficient and will be able to perform them quicker. The faster you can get through steps 4 through 7 the quicker you will get going.

You need to give the engine what it wants! Understand that the choke will give the engine a rich mixture and the hot start will give the engine a lean mixture. If you have kicked the engine several times during a cold starting procedure and it still won't start, maybe it has too much fuel. Don't be afraid to push the choke back in and use the hot start, even though the engine is cold, this will give the engine a lean mixture and that might be just what it wants.

Again, make sure you don't go more than an inch or two past the hard spot when setting up your kick, and return the kick tarter all the way to the top, especially on the 250F. This will ensure that you get a proper kick and make your race day more enjoyable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks this is great info but theres one part i dont get, my hotstart is a lever by the clutch, i have never noticed a red knob on my carb other then the black knob for the choke

From what I'm told, the hot start is basically opposite of a choke. The choke is used when you want more fuel and the hot start is for more air.

Therefore, if you dump the bike over in the woods and flood it out, it should start better with the hot start lever pulled. Mine flooded out once on me. After about 3 times on the start button and no results, I pulled the hot start and it fired right up.

For Christmas I got my 15yr old 120lbs son a used 02 YZ250F in good shape. Thanks for the advise on how to start it. A prior owner removed the compression release cable and lever. Any advise on how to start with out the CR? Any one got one laying around? Is it necessary due to his size?

The previous owner may have installed an auto decompression exhaust cam and got rid of the lever. If not then you may want to put one in yourself

The previous owner may have installed an auto decompression exhaust cam and got rid of the lever. If not then you may want to put one in yourself

^^^^ This.

The auto decompression exhaust cam is a common mod for the 01' and 02' YZ250F's. The PO most likely did that mod.