Sign in to follow this  

HELP Husqvarna 450 TE 2008

So i have had some problems with the auto decompression on my bike, Yesterday I went ahead and took the valve cover off and checked the auto decompressor to see if it was working properly, I do here it click and it does open the exhaust valve a little. What i would like to know is the spring that holds the auto decompressor engaged while engine is off, does that spring apply alot of pressure to the decompressor to hold it engaged or just a little just to barley hold it in place?

My spring has very little pressure applied to the auto decompressor and I dont know if that could contribute to the motorcycle at times now wanting to crank. Also the clearance on exhaust was .008 thats the maximum allowed should I shim that? And on the intake valves one had .006 and another had .008 that is off and i dont understand why the difference between each valve.

One more thing what oil is the best for these engines? Manual says 10w60 but Its very hard for me to find it. Also what brands are the best i want good oil no matter the price. And how often should i change it? I ride the bike only on Sundays and dont really rev it up at all i use mid torque. Thanks!

The exhaust valve that the ADC is attached to, that one needs to be tighter than it is. When that valve gets loose, the ADC stops working, as it only opens the valve a tiny amount.

I use this oil, I pay $10 a quart, I have 6000 miles and no problems. 2010 TE450

I change mine when I cant see thr u the oil in the

sightglass, on average, about 700 miles, although it varies maybe 500, maybe 1000, whenever the oil gets real dirty.

414yUOrUubL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ok thank you! I will try to find that oil, here a gallon of oil for the husky is around $68 synthetic.. I will adjust vales, is it normal that you can have different wear on the cams like i do on intake? one is .006 and the other.008

Hi, i have read that the 10W60 would be recommended for going flat out in the midday desert sun but if you are in a cooler climate then 10W 40 works well also this will aid your gear changes as is is thinner. De compression valve only needs to open the exhaust valve a little as that is enough to take the pressure out of the chamber for kick starting or even for the electric motor which may sometimes struggle to crank the engine when there is a lot of compression on that particular stroke. there is a difference in both exhaust and inlet valves due to the difference in the amount of heat they are exposed to, i.e. the inlet is cooled by the fuel and the exhaust to heated more by the exit gasses, you don't need to change the valve clearances if they are in within spec is even if it is the maximum permitted. hope this helps

..... Also the clearance on exhaust was .008 thats the maximum allowed should I shim that? And on the intake valves one had .006 and another had .008 that is off and i dont understand why the difference between each valve.
De compression valve only needs to open the exhaust valve a little as that is enough to take the pressure out of the chamber for kick starting or even for the electric motor which may sometimes struggle to crank the engine when there is a lot of compression on that particular stroke. there is a difference in both exhaust and inlet valves due to the difference in the amount of heat they are exposed to, i.e. the inlet is cooled by the fuel and the exhaust to heated more by the exit gasses, you don't need to change the valve clearances if they are in within spec is even if it is the maximum permitted. hope this helps

I believe the OP was talking about the difference betwee the 2 intake valves, that they were different, not the difference between intake and exhaust .

Also, when my ADC exhaust valve is at the max measurement, I re-shim it to be closer to the min measurement, then my bike has an easier time starting.

thanks for pointing out my mistake, yes you are right there about the inlet valves they should be the same or as close to it as possible. as for the ADC I have no real knowledge of, (so i will step back and leave it to the experts).

Hi well im starting to think that the.bike has a worn starter. What test could i do to the starter to know if its out of specs... im thinking i could have some worn brushes... im going to open it tomorrow and check the brushes anything else i should look for? Monday i checked a 2010 ktm 300 that had the exact same problem and the starter brushes were worn.. also i would like to see if someone has a picture of the ADC to see if mine is worn. Ill post a picture of mine when i get home so you guys can tell me if its worn. Sorry for the typos im writting from my galxy s 2. THANKS!

The end of the auto decomp cam gets worn and doesn't open the valve long enough i have changed a bunch of these on 08 @ 09 models they had a bad run of them.