Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Fork Springs, Are these right size

I got some new springs for my 03 XR400 from XR's Only. I told them my weight (180 lbs) plus gear and pack about 200lbs. I just opened the new box and pulled my old springs. The new springs are at least an inch shorter, Is this correct?? They are Eibach EMS EI996.047.1, .47KG. I want to get these installed but I'm not going to use them if they are not correct, and XR's Only is closed on weekends so I can't get an answer from them. Any help would be appreciated.

They should have a 36mm OD and be 470mm long.

But, as long as they are the right OD , you can add a bushing to give it the right preload.

It has been a while since I have done a set of the xr400 forks, but typicaly the aftermatrket guys where making there springs shorter than the OEM ones and you have to make a preload spacer to make it work out right.

Race Tech allways seemed to send the springs with a piece of stock in the box to make the preload spacer out of.

Sorry I did not find this earlier. And this spacer can be made from PVC available from any hardware store as long as the od is correct. ! weigh 196 and have .44's. '47 sounds a little stiff to me. I would not add any extra preload length. Good luck, great bike.

For a 196 lb rider) before gear) .50kg/mm spring woulkd work good for woods riding .

The XR is a heavy bike as well.

For a 196 lb rider) before gear) .50kg/mm spring woulkd work good for woods riding .

The XR is a heavy bike as well.

.50Kg springs ????????? Are you nutz ? .42 or .44kg would be a much better choice. I ran .42kg on my KTM 525/530EXC and it worked great. I weigh 185 without gear. I ran stock springs in my XR400 (440). I think they were .42kg.

Dwight

I beg to differ.

on my 96 XR 400, that I have long gotten rid of. I ran .50 up front an then I was @ 200lbs w/o gear when I played in the woods.

I only ran 8mm preload and ran 5w oil at 150mm oil height.

Must be my agressive MX roots shining thru.:bonk:

i was 200 with gear 1-2 months ago and use .42kg/mm in my XR400 my static is 75mm spot on it turns great!!!

now 192 with gear...:bonk:

.50Kg springs ????????? Are you nutz ? .42 or .44kg would be a much better choice. I ran .42kg on my KTM 525/530EXC and it worked great. I weigh 185 without gear. I ran stock springs in my XR400 (440). I think they were .42kg.

Dwight

An XR400 is unbalanced stock. A 0.46 spring balances an XR400 with the stock shock spring, both being perfect for a 200-210 pound rider. A 0.47 spring will be OK, but don't add more than 1/4" of preload. You'll need a spacer - use 1" pvc cut to length with a metal washer on both sides of the plastic.

JayC

The problem with a XR400 is that it needs more than normal sag in rear. It needs 35% rider sag instead of the normal 34%. It needs 105mm rider sag or it shakes it's head. It needs 70mm rider sag in front. About 39-40mm static.

The problem with a XR400 is that it needs more than normal sag in rear. It needs 35% rider sag instead of the normal 34%. It needs 105mm rider sag or it shakes it's head. It needs 70mm rider sag in front. About 39-40mm static.

I have my XR set up with stock rear spring and 0.46 front for my 210ish pounds. I set the front springs using about 3/4" preload to keep the front end up, and I run ~3 3/4" (~95mm) race sag. This gives my bike has between 20 and 25mm free sag in the rear - don't know the free sag or rider sag in front, but it has what feels like an ideal bias and is rock-solid stable - I've never once had headshake with it.

With the stock unbalanced setup, however, you are likely correct about the additional sag.

JayC

Im looking into doing the springs on my bike, on the race tech site it says a 210lb person needs .517 springs but some of you guys say even .47 springs are to heavy. Is there anyone with .50 springs that can tell me how they go?