Sign in to follow this  

another streel licencing question - re: an older TLR 200

I'm looking for a small California street legal bike for my 5'4" wife. She rides a crf150 and loves it, but there are times a plated bike would work out for us. I'm thinking of selling my old backup xr200 to fund a bike she can ride on the street.

I've found a 1986 TLR 200 that used to be street licensed in California, but now is just green sticker (asking $900). Anyone know if this bike will be a problem to license? I doubt it still has an emissions sticker, given it's age. I've read alot of the posts re: licensing a newer green and red sticker bike, but don't find anything about re-licencing a bike.

I realize a TLR has less travel, etc, then the xr200, but it would be a put around town and fireroad bike, not a dirtbike.

Thanks for any input!

It was street legal when new so you should be able to license it if all the lights etc. are there. I had one and think you might be happier with an XR. The TLR is a bit squirrely due to the steep steering angle, has a thin seat, not much suspension, and (mine at least) could be fussy to start.

regards,

Phil

The DMV won't care if it used to be licenced...That part is already out of the system when the green sticker was aquired...So basically you are going to try to get a plate for a dirt bike (TLR)...They will want to see an emmisions label and all the other street bikey stuff on it...IMHO find a bike wiht a plate on it...Good luck

Bought my wife one in pristine condition last year for this reason. Got it non-running, but a little elbow grease and it runs great. She is 5'3" and on her tip toes.

Perfect for her - as a learner and we can putt on street legal fire roads with it. SUPER lean at stock jetting, but once that was all sorted out runs great. She rode it today and made me promise not to sell it (my usual MO after a year or two with bikes)

Guess I need to get the suspension sorted... Anyone else using these for a little dualsport?? I would love to get a cr125r front end to swap to modern forks and a disk brake for it but dunno if it can be done.