Piston circlip

In the middle of installing my CW big bore with a vertex piston. The supplied circlips are SO hard to install. I watched a few people installing pistons on youtube and most of them can install their clips with their fingers!

I can't get it compressed enough to get it seated! Any tips? :bonk:

Just did this yesterday. Yes, they are extremely difficult. Needle pliers and a small flat head and a lot of patience.

Yea pliers don't work too well... I just end up scratching the shit out of the area around the hole

KTM's use Vertex so I'm assuming the piston pin clips are the KTM style. KTM has some special tools to install the clips. I have not seen it only heard horror stories about installing with out the special tools. Does the clip have a "tang" (tail)? Some how the tool engages the tail and winds the clip into position.

i only wish there was a tail... nope just a semi circles with VERY sharp ends (ask me how i know :bonk: )

There is a special tool for that style as well. The clip is inserted in to a tapered tube that compresses the clip as it slides down the ID of the tube. The tool is positioned against the piston and a pusher is used to push the compressed clip out of the tube into the piston.

Mostly what I hear works is to use a small blade screwdriver with a notch filled in the blade to push the clip into place.

I use a wood popsicle stick. Reaching over the top of the piston from the other side I get one end of the clip started then use the sick to walk the clip in like you'd a knife to carve something pulling the knife toward you. the open end of the clip should be 6 or 12 oclock

If you find yourself scratching the piston you can put some tape on it, can also dremel the sharp off the end of the clip

I know where your coming from. I usually put one end of the circlip into the piston groove then grab the other end of the circlip and sorta twist and push down. Once it goes into the piston hole I get a flat head screwdriver and push the circlip into the groove to make sure it is seated. Its worth a shot, Never broke one but it went flying and it took me ten minutes to find.

You should be able to install it with your hands, its all about the technique, I was in the same boat a month ago and it was taking me over an hour. I watched a video by Wiseco from their website on how to install it and tried that guys method and it popped right in first try. Search youtube for some videos, I think it will help greatly, I know it did for me.

Yea I've watched all the youtube videos; this circlip seems to be much thicker and stiffer than that of wiseco, I can't even get it in with needlenose pliers.

The thought of putting this in with only my hands is laughable.

It will NOT give way to my efforts! :bonk:

always bothers me when a piston comes with clips so wimpy they go in easy.... it's like they cheaped out

Yea when i saw the Wiseco guy push the clips in with the tips of his fingers my jaw nearly hit the floor. By no means am I complaining but my big bore is useless if i can't install the circlips :bonk:

The same thing happened to me when I put in my big bore . I got the cylinder works kit and it came with a vertex piston , like yours . I had a lot of trouble doing the circlip , in fact I had to give up trying on my first attempt as I was about to just start swinging with a hammer , if it went on any longer ! :smirk: I did the same as you and watched the videos , so I could see if I was missing anything . It is very frustrating when you watch someone just clip it in with there fingers , when you know if you tried hard all you will do is draw blood on yourself . After many , many frustrating hours I got the bitch/clip in . I located one end in and compressed it with some pliers , then slowly using a screwdriver I went along its length , pushing it in bit by bit . I think I got it on about the 4th attempt , but watch out if it springs loose it can fly :banana: . Protect your eyes and make sure it doesnt get lost , I had to try and find mine when it took off at a great rate of knots right past my face . I think the special tool noble mentioned would be worth its weight in gold if you could get one . I knew after installing the first clip on the piston , that once I put the gudgeon pin on to it and then put it on to the rod , it would get fiddly , but wow was it a shock to find out how hard these things are to put in . All I can say is try to not damage the piston or the clip while doing the process and take your time , good luck , greg :bonk:

Also be considerate of side loading the rod bearings. It's dooable, it's just you don't do it enough to get good at it. Elko clips were the worst until they put little ears on them. Vertex probably bought their old stock? LOL

BUX Tools

http://www.buxtools.com/files/fact_sheet.pdf

C-Clipper kit

For such a simply thing like a c clip, these tools are not cheap. But after you use one ONCE, you'll understand why many folks think there are worth their weight in gold.

If you only plan on doing this once. Then rags, very small flat blade screwdriver with a notch ground in it, and a piece of HEAVY duct tape to cover the piston clip area, guarding against scratches. Will get you by.

BUT if you do builds more than once and awhile, consider this or similar tools.

I have 4 of these C Clipper tools now, and will buy one for EVERY new size of pin install I come across. The $$ is well worth it to me, not to have to think “Where did that clip go? it was just there half way in the recess a second ago" then spend 1/2 hour looking for it on the shop floor.

Watch this video

and tell me you want to every fight with a screwdriver and pin clip again

Edited by E.Marquez

Oh my lord thats exactly what I need Marquez :bonk:

But I can't bite the bullet on a $100 tool I will only use once, maybe even if it was $50 or $60, i'm at the point where it would be worth it, but I can't justify $100 :banana:

I gave a call to my friendly local dealership (legit friendly haha!), perhaps my mechanic has a tool I can borrow for a day, tomorrow it will get figured out.

Good thing the weather is too cold here or I would be shitting bricks with a sitting big bore that is delayed by a $1 part. :smirk:

Oh my lord thats exactly what I need Marquez :bonk:

But I can't bite the bullet on a $100 tool I will only use once, maybe even if it was $50 or $60, i'm at the point where it would be worth it, but I can't justify $100 :banana:

It's $59 :smirk: for the one you need on a DRZ

http://www.buxtools.com/product_catalog.php

Part #403

Edited by E.Marquez