Sign in to follow this  

what ya think

Hey all,

here is the story, the Bike shop here has gone under

the guy just couldn't make it. He told everyone

come get your bike he was working and get the parts you paid for.

But the catch is he can not give the money you paid for the labor

because he didnt have it he was broke

I dont know what others are doing about this

but would you let the labor money go or make a big deal over it

Id look into it... He cant keep money for a service he didnt provide. Id def. call around and ask some questions to see what can be done about it. No way I would just let it slide... most shops in my area charge something like $78 an hour for labor. Thats a lot of money when you think about everyone that had a bike there for work.

He should either do the work, or give the money back, period. If he needs time to get the money to you or finish the work, that may be understandable, but he can't just stiff his customers. Maybe he has something he can give you some parts or tools or something laying around the shop to make up for what he owes you? I wouldn't let him off, that's for sure. Legal action could be taken in small claims court, but you would have to make a decision on whether it's worth your time and effort.

So you pre-paid the labor? Or are you talking about a deposit?

Cant get blood from a turnip.........you could try suing him but its usually only the lawyers that win.

Hey all,

here is the story, the Bike shop here has gone under

the guy just couldn't make it. He told everyone

come get your bike he was working and get the parts you paid for.

But the catch is he can not give the money you paid for the labor

because he didnt have it he was broke

I dont know what others are doing about this

but would you let the labor money go or make a big deal over it

If I was in the position of being in the hole for a payment made with no work done (which I'd never be since I will NEVER pay in advance for anything), I'd pick up my stuff and also grab whatever shop equipment or tools I could find laying around until I felt I was even. You can't be in the hole for too much - a decent snap-on wrench should cover it.

JayC

If I heard right everything in there is about to becomes the banks

the new bikes tools ect.

ill talk to him about the money.

thanks guys

One thing I got to ask can the bank really take someone bike?

He said "if I dont pick it up before the doors lock the bank owns it"

Yeah, I'm wondering the samething? I would never pay for any labor up front period. That is just bad business and anyone who ask for labor charges up front should not be trusted in the first place.

Op, the guy is probably telling you half truths. I'm sure he will not just leave tools and equipment laying around unless they are financed pieces and then he probably doesn't care. You can talk to whomever, make calls all you want, but at the end of the day unless you want to get tied up in small claims court and try to sue a guy who seemingly has nothing then you might as well get your bike ASAP, take your loses and call it lesson learned.

One thing I got to ask can the bank really take someone bike?

He said "if I dont pick it up before the doors lock the bank owns it"

I doubt the bank can take anything your bike, even if it's left there...that is, assuming you have a title. If you don't have a title I for sure wouldn't leave it there.

What a shady ass p.o.s. this guy must be. He knew he was about to be foreclosed on, but he still accepted work? It's not like the bank surprises you with thus kind of stuff.

Sounds like he didn't fix anything.. Which means you ar out nothing.. As for picking up some tools on the way out that is theft.. And yes you can go to jail for it.. Just pick up your stuff and move on..

deposit... so far you guy think I should let it go?

I put down 100 $

It will cost more than 100 bones for court fees, so yes. And never prepay again. He asked money up front because he knew he was going down. That sucks tho man. Sorry to hear.

deposit... so far you guy think I should let it go?

I put down 100 $

I would just get what's mine, and move on. It'll cost you more than $100 in time and effort to recover it. "Don't spend a dollar to save a dime" Painful, yes. Frustrating, YES. Worth it? IMO, no. Just my opinion.

A $100 lesson learned......sucks? Yes but I would just chalk it up to that and move on. You could see if he will let you have $200 in gear or parts/tires.......all about bargaining at this point.

Just get the bike and move on. It sucks he can't do the work but it's a tough time we are living now and the economy is effecting us all some way or another. The guy just lost his business and now he won't be able to pay his own bills or take care of his family. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. Did you know the guy at all or did you just pick him out of the yellow pages?

Yeah, I'm wondering the samething? I would never pay for any labor up front period. That is just bad business and anyone who ask for labor charges up front should not be trusted in the first place.

Op, the guy is probably telling you half truths. I'm sure he will not just leave tools and equipment laying around unless they are financed pieces and then he probably doesn't care. You can talk to whomever, make calls all you want, but at the end of the day unless you want to get tied up in small claims court and try to sue a guy who seemingly has nothing then you might as well get your bike ASAP, take your loses and call it lesson learned.

I agree, but you never know I had the same thing happen in the early 80 s when the econmy was worse than it is know. I ordered parts and paid for parts when I ordered them, the bank shut him down before i got the $75 worth of parts. I thought oh well lesson learned and he moved. Eight or nine years later I got a check from the guy for $175 and apology. I think bike shops are suffering coast to coast and that sucks.

Is he still in there?..grab your $ worth..I wouldn't take the "I'm broke man" If he is still in there that guy is going to take all the new tools and leave,or actually bring old shit into the shop for the gov to take{he's gotta show something}..he's is going to scam as much as he can..I wouldn't be surprised if this guy did an insurance job before he pulled the pin..If you're a young dude [i didn't see your age} bring your father with you and go see him..Its hard even for a scammer to punk off an old dude..especialy for $100..If your not a young dude..bring someone large in stature with you..and have him not say a word and only look at the guy the whole time,while you grab his business card off the counter and look up his name in the phone book right in front of him [b]as[/b] you're negotiating your refund..this works really good if his # is listed:busted:..and you didn't directly threaten anybody:excuseme:

• Like 1

Seriously Jason? me thinks you watch to many movies! the guy got in over his head, the business failed, it happens man! Should never have paid up front, but the guy asked for it because he was in real trouble. get your bike, be civil about it, the good karma will pay off somewhere down the road.

and don't listen to Jason, seriously, crap like that is how you end up in trouble. Take your 100 dollar lesson and move on. If you were smart/lucky enough to have paid by CC you could dispute the charges, You would win and get your money back. if you paid by check you could cancel the check -you might get your money back. if you paid cash - you are boned!

it's 100 bucks, you gunna let it eat you up - or move on! Think of the owner, Christmas setting in, his business went tango uniform - I hope his wife has a good job to support them, and more importantly any kids that may be involved. If you wanted to show real class, you might send a cheap gift basket to his home, How you handle this will help define your character!

Carl Johansson

Is he still in there?..grab your $ worth..I wouldn't take the "I'm broke man" If he is still in there that guy is going to take all the new tools and leave,or actually bring old shit into the shop for the gov to take{he's gotta show something}..he's is going to scam as much as he can..I wouldn't be surprised if this guy did an insurance job before he pulled the pin..If you're a young dude [i didn't see your age} bring your father with you and go see him..Its hard even for a scammer to punk off an old dude..especialy for $100..If your not a young dude..bring someone large in stature with you..and have him not say a word and only look at the guy the whole time,while you grab his business card off the counter and look up his name in the phone book right in front of him [b]as[/b] you're negotiating your refund..this works really good if his # is listed:busted:..and you didn't directly threaten anybody:excuseme:

Seriously Jason? me thinks you watch to many movies! the guy got in over his head, the business failed, it happens man! Should never have paid up front, but the guy asked for it because he was in real trouble. get your bike, be civil about it, the good karma will pay off somewhere down the road.

and don't listen to Jason, seriously, crap like that is how you end up in trouble. Take your 100 dollar lesson and move on. If you were smart/lucky enough to have paid by CC you could dispute the charges, You would win and get your money back. if you paid by check you could cancel the check -you might get your money back. if you paid cash - you are boned!

it's 100 bucks, you gunna let it eat you up - or move on! Think of the owner, Christmas setting in, his business went tango uniform - I hope his wife has a good job to support them, and more importantly any kids that may be involved. If you wanted to show real class, you might send a cheap gift basket to his home, How you handle this will help define your character!

Carl Johansson

I agree with you Carl..but only because its $100..The guy took the kid for a ride,pure and simple..He should just fork over the 100 if he had any friggin class in his body..screw his wife and kids,his business and the bad economy..that was his gamble..not the kids..I'm pissed just reading about it..If I lived near the OP I would go get it for him..no movies Carl and I'm not trying to come across as a tough guy either..I've been there and done that..putting weisels in their friggin place adds more character then bending over..but yeah its only $100 bucks..cheap lesson..I still say if he walked in with his old man he'd get it back

I agree with you Carl..but only because its $100..The guy took the kid for a ride,pure and simple..He should just fork over the 100 if he had any friggin class in his body..screw his wife and kids,his business and the bad economy..that was his gamble..not the kids..I'm pissed just reading about it..If I lived near the OP I would go get it for him..no movies Carl and I'm not trying to come across as a tough guy either..I've been there and done that..putting weisels in their friggin place adds more character then bending over..but yeah its only $100 bucks..cheap lesson..I still say if he walked in with his old man he'd get it back

I am sure if the guy had the money to pay back the customers he probably would not be closing his doors, maybe? There is no money to be gotten back!

The guy might be willing to barter with stuff from the shop.

I would be glad he gave forewarning before the bank put their lock on the shop, it would be harder to get your stuff back after that.

I still like the way you think Jason. But most times taking a plan like that from fantasy to action can get a person in trouble....

I think that you will be lucky to get the new parts you paid for. If you do get your new parts, chalk up the $100 as a loss.