Sign in to follow this  

Warning on Dennis Kirk closeout Shoei V-Moto helmets

A friend turned me on to the seemingly blowout price on Shoei V-moto helmets at Dennis Kirk. After seeing and trying on one that he bought as a gift for his son, his on, I bought one for myself.

While mounting the visor, I noticed this thing scratched easily. Way too easily. The more I handled it in the process of trying it on and fitting my goggles, etc..., the more it scratched, and the more the matte finish actually seemed to deteriorate right under my fingertips.

Upon checking the manufacture date (located on a tag affixed to the helmet under the liner), it turns out this helmet was manufactured in August 2005, which means it has been sitting in some warehouse for over six years and is in the final year of its seven year warranty.

I emailed my friend to let him know; the date on his is October 2005.

Back at the DK site, there is a review from a buyer who complained to DK about the paint problems with this helmet several months ago to which DK replied that they'd had complaints from others buyers as well. Yet, they kept on selling them.

Bottom line, Dennis Kirk is selling these helmets without any disclosure whatsoever about their age or the known paint defect.

As always, buyer beware.

-B

I used to manage a shop and the shoei rep always told us to tell people to replace their helmets after 5 years, even if its in a box on a shelf in the garage because the liner inside the helmet deteriorates. That helmet is only good for one thing...a display in the garage. The first thing I thought when I read the thread title, is man those are old. Did you try to return it?

Just a quick follow-up: I called Shoei who told me to send it right to them rather than back to DK. Long story short, Shoei determined that the paint issue was a manufacturing defect and made things right.

-Bob

• Like 1

Glad to hear you things straightened out! It's good to see some companies stand behind their products, even if they didn't do direct business with you as the buyer.