Sign in to follow this  

MX 71f for Baja?

Hey guys, I just got back from my first trip to Baja, where I used a Dunlp MX71f front tire on my '06 WR450. I'm planning on leaving a review here on ThumperTalk reviews section, but wanted to pick your brains first, as I don't want to leave a negative review, if I'm doing something wrong with this tire, such as running with too much air pressure. So as you can see, I'm not overly impressed with it yet. The carcass seems so un-believably stiff, that I think this thing might have been built to run while flat, hence the Baja capability. With 15 to 18 psi, the carcass is so stiff that the darn thing deflects off of everything. Yesterday, back home in Montana, I used the thing with around 11 psi, and it wasn't bad!!! Still didn't get the feedback from it that I get when using an M12, but I know an M12 won't last like this MX71f either.

So have any of you guys used an MX71f?

And if so, on which bike?

And at what pressures?

How was the ride?

How is the longevity?

Thanks for any and all replys! Maniac

Just to add a little of my experience to your comments, I currently have this tire on the front of my 450x. I agree, the thing is stiff and not too forgiving. I've been running it between 10-13 psi (trying to find the sweet spot) with a Bridgestone UHD tube. I mostly ride out here in the SoCal desert, so lots of sand and plenty of rocks. For me, it seems like there is a lean angle when leaning into the sandy turns where the front lets loose and I'm POSITIVE I'm going down. But before the bike hits the ground it grabs and makes the turn. This happens almost every time in the loose stuff for me, whether its pumice up in the sierras, or the down here in the desert washes. Needless to say, It's not very confidence inspiring for me in this type of terrain. I start to adapt my riding style to avoid this angle. Based on how much it has worn so far, It looks like it might last longer than I want it to. I'll probably swap it out before it has reached EOL. Just my experience, and of course opinions may vary. :bonk:

Geomax 51 up front is the best way to go! Been running them on a WR for the last 2 years on Baja trips and Az single track. Usually 12 to 14 psi and bridgestone UHD tubes. Never had a problem. Long lasting and great front end traction. Geomax 71 for the rear.:bonk:

I liked the 71 front better than the front 606, but also preferred the 51 front, is your suspension stiff?

IMO, there is NOT a worse front than the 606, so anything could be better.

with a mousse the 71 is ok, i have not ridden one with a tube, so I can't comment.

the 51 is a much grippier tire.

IMO, there is NOT a worse front than the 606, so anything could be better.

with a mousse the 71 is ok, i have not ridden one with a tube, so I can't comment.

the 51 is a much grippier tire.

Morton had us run the 606 to cabo years ago, i swear the knobs dont wear, they sqiush

Wwddd?

Oh, I got it....even after a few brews. Why does DD know so much about ft's anyway? Btw, I'm headed sob in a couple days with a 650 and 450 with ft 71's in the 90 series. This should be interesting...:bonk:

Alright, so I guess that I'm running too much pressure in it for Baja then. I had somewhere around 18 psi in it, as I was the new guy, and didn't want to get any flats and hold up the crew. Here in Montana, with 11 psi, it wasn't terrible. It actually absorb most of the trail junk, and only deflected an estimated 20% to 30% of the time, compared to 70% to 80% at 18 psi. As for my suspension, yes it's re-valved/re-sprung stiffer for me, but it's still a WR, so I wouldn't call it stiff. Maniac

Just to add a little of my experience to your comments, I currently have this tire on the front of my 450x. I agree, the thing is stiff and not too forgiving. I've been running it between 10-13 psi (trying to find the sweet spot) with a Bridgestone UHD tube. I mostly ride out here in the SoCal desert, so lots of sand and plenty of rocks. For me, it seems like there is a lean angle when leaning into the sandy turns where the front lets loose and I'm POSITIVE I'm going down. But before the bike hits the ground it grabs and makes the turn. This happens almost every time in the loose stuff for me, whether its pumice up in the sierras, or the down here in the desert washes. Needless to say, It's not very confidence inspiring for me in this type of terrain. I start to adapt my riding style to avoid this angle. Based on how much it has worn so far, It looks like it might last longer than I want it to. I'll probably swap it out before it has reached EOL. Just my experience, and of course opinions may vary. :bonk:

I ride in the same conditions and have the same results. However, i did ride the other day close to the border (off the 8 hwy) and the ground was wet from all the recent rain. It seemed like that mx71 front tire was the best tire I have ever ridden on for the dirt and trails I was on. Weird... I was running it low on PSI too, around 8 due to the temp and knowing there wasnt many jagged rocks to ding a rim or pinch a tube. But again, I too have experienced that angle issue and thought it was just me or my suspension setup (which it could still be).

I'm sorta bummed because I had heard the MX71 front was a better tire than the mx51 front (all around)....but I'm not sold yet, and I like almost love the 51 at the track...

Hmmmmm, I was running the 90/100 at 15-18 psi down there and felt at times that it was a bit soft on some of the bigger rock hits, but handles really well. No wash outs at lean angles for me. I was railing cow trails and wide open two tracks, and had a lot of confidence in the tire. Was using Bridgestone UHD tubes.

I just used some in Baja for the first time. Loved the front, hated the rear. For the me front was far better than the mx51. Not sure why, but the rear seems to deflect off everything. But I know it is the only tire that Caselli runs in the desert. He does run the rear with some mods though. So go figure.

DSC_0122.jpg

That's an interesting idea....siping the rear. I agree, the rear needs some help. I would prefer to run the 739A/T, but the price has skyrocketed and they don't last long enough for me.

CHILLY... is that an Mx71 in the picture with the cuts?

Yes, you can tell by the offset knob pattern