Sign in to follow this  

Transmission oil leaking?

Hi all, just wondering if someone can help me with my honda crf250x, i checked my manual and it said when removing the transmission cap screw the fluid should be visible or flow out. i thought it must of been bone dry because i put like a litre and more in it and i still never seen it reach full? yet when i rode it started pissing out from somewere at the top of the engine when i stopped, and also i cant put it in neutral while the engine is running. when the engine is off there is no problem with neutral.

Bro, measure your oil. Don't just dump it in there hoping to fill it to the rim and call it a day. Its throwing it back up because you've put to much in there. :smirk: Read your manual or online when doing stuff like that if you don't know how. Its less than a liter on both sides. You may wanna learn how to at least change your oil on your bike 1st before you mess that thing up!:bonk:

ENGINE OIL

.73 of a Qt when changing oil filter

.70 of a Qt just changing oil

CRANK CASE OIL (TRAN)

.71 of a Qt

Hope this helps, and good luck:lol:

ok cheers so would there be a busted seal or any damage? or is it just chuckin out the excess?

make sure your looking at the right hole, there is the filler hole and oil level check hole. Be sure not to mix the two up.

Hi all, just wondering if someone can help me with my honda crf250x, i checked my manual and it said when removing the transmission cap screw the fluid should be visible or flow out. i thought it must of been bone dry because i put like a litre and more in it and i still never seen it reach full? yet when i rode it started pissing out from somewere at the top of the engine when i stopped, and also i cant put it in neutral while the engine is running. when the engine is off there is no problem with neutral.

The trans is vented and if you put in too much, it will blow out the vent. Doubtful you did any damage.

And as far as the oil check bolt, I would not bother. Either:

1. Just put in a measured amount.

2. Take the large cap off and fill till it is just below that.

I say that because it seems like the oil check bolt is easily strippable. As a matter of fact, I just stripped mine a few days ago.:bonk:

ALWAYS used a new crush washer and always used a clicker torque wrench and it still stripped. 9ft/lbs just seems to be too much for those threads.

After checking here and else where, I found this is a very common problem and most suggest #1 or #2 above.

I had always filled mine to the hole, then put in a bit extra (because of advice found here on the 450) and found that it was almost to the level of the large cap hole. I found if I filled it past that, it would blow out the vent, especially on the 250 (I have a 450x as well), so I don't follow the "1 full qt" advice for the 450 that many say to do.

I still haven't made up my mind on what to do about the stripped hole. The bolt is holding without leakage, but it's not very tight. Some just clean up the threads with a tap and then put the bolt in with lock tight.

Others do a heli-coil repair and I've seen where they've done it with the cover on and off.

I think I'm going to do it with the case off. Hate the thought of a metal shaving getting into a gear. But once it's sealed again, I'm not going to touch it on either bike, but just fill to the large cap hole, which is typically off anyway as I keep on top of my valves clearances.

Jim.

I just stripped my oil drain plug a few weeks ago on my kxf:foul:

$125 at my shop to get a heli coil in, he said it was my best bet!! So annoying, I can't tell u how many bolts i've stripped and broken on my dirtbikes :bonk: lol

X2 Same here!

$125 at my shop to get a heli coil in, he said it was my best bet!! So annoying, I can't tell u how many bolts i've stripped and broken on my dirtbikes :bonk: lol

It sucks!! I was so pissed!!! I was on my way to my 2nd hare scramble, and I wanted to change my oil that am before we left. needless to say i didnt make it to the races, and didnt get my bike back for a week!!:bonk:

Stop hamfisting everything - you are grossly overtorquing every bolt you assemble. Proper torque is half of what you think it is. Do yourself a favor and buy an inch-lb torque wrench.

JayC

Same kind of thing happened to me, I was changing the oil on my bike at midnight the night before a dune trip. First time using a torque wrench on stuff like that, got one oil filter bolt in and went for the second and snap went the bolt, luckily just the one held up for the trip.

It sucks!! I was so pissed!!! I was on my way to my 2nd hare scramble, and I wanted to change my oil that am before we left. needless to say i didnt make it to the races, and didnt get my bike back for a week!!:bonk:

Yea man, that pisses me off. Speedy, what are u talking about:bonk:

My reply to haw i tighten stuff up:busted:.Breaker bar is a long bar used to lever stuff undone,Hange off it means putting all my weight on it:smirk::bonk:

Don't use the oil level check bolt. BTW the torque spec on the check bolt is only 7 ft-lbs, not 9. Drain the transmission oil. Put the drain plug back in (16 ft-lbs). Measure 800 cc of trans oil and use that. If you don't have any leaks and the engine side is not filling up by itself, you don't have to check the oil.

For the drain bolts yall already stripped, check out timeserts. They tend to seal better than helicoils in my experience, since they are a solid sleeve.

Don't use the oil level check bolt. BTW the torque spec on the check bolt is only 7 ft-lbs, not 9. Drain the transmission oil. Put the drain plug back in (16 ft-lbs). Measure 800 cc of trans oil and use that. If you don't have any leaks and the engine side is not filling up by itself, you don't have to check the oil.

Guess what, 250x manual says 9, 450x says 7 (09 manuals); mis-print? If so, could explain a lot of the stripped bolts.

Jim.