Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R vs 89 CR250

helo, my friend has a ktm 250 xcfw, i want a crf250r or a cr250. i have a cr125 now, i want more power. i want the 4t , but i want an old cr250, like an 89 cr250... they both have the same kind of power. i do not ride track, mostly trails, and quary riding and stuff,,,please help, thanks

I wud go with the 250 2t :bonk: i just got a 96kx 250 coming from a 93cr125 and 97kx 125 ... nothing like the extra power of the 250 you dont have to ring it out like a 125 and has nice low end torque compared to the 125

My neighbor has a Honda 250f and rode my kx 250 (his 1st time on 250 2t) and he said " Damn that thing rips ! "

The 250 2t has more power than you will ever need on mx / trails in my opinion ... I'm 5'10 160 lbs :smirk:

I think you should go with a larger 4T. I have ridden 125 2t, 250 2t, and now I ride a 400 4T, a 1999 YZ400. I geared the bike way down (-1 tooth on the front sprocket, + 4 on the rear). For really tight single track, I just leave it in 2nd gear. The only time I ever need to use the clutch is when things get going really slow. I never lack power or torque. If I want to lug it really low, I can do that. If I want to blast forward really quickly, I just twist the throttle. It has enough rev range to go as fast as I can imagine going using only 2nd and third gear in the woods. I can tell you from personal experience that the extended rev range is very nice to have. You don't lose momentum while shifting all the time.

a crf250 and a nearly 25 year old cr250 are going to be two VERY different bikes, you realize that, right?

i don't know if you've ever rode an older bike compared to a newer model, but i'd have to say you're off your rocker if you chose an old machine like that over something newer for a primary ride. i'm not saying old bikes are bad and pointless, but an old motorcycle is an old motorcycle. no way around it.

however, if you've got your reasons, go for it.

I own an '07 CRF250 and an '01 CR250. Depending on your definition of trails the 4T is way more controllable on steep, loose, tight and otherwise hairy single track. On the 2T you spend a lot of time on the brakes and trying to manage the power at low RPM's which is kind of fickle.

I've been considering getting a fly wheel weight for my CR but they aren't exactly cheap. It is tempting to make it into a better trail bike since CR's both are and feel so much lighter, but the twitchy power and the lack of a nice and smooth engine braking effect makes the 4T a better choice for the narrow stuff.

I've timed single track loops on each and my times are withing 10% of each other with a slight edge going to my CRF. It could be that I've been riding 4T's for longer but I can tell you that for me it takes a lot more effort to go fast on the CR. I use a lot more brakes and I tear up a lot more ground. The CR is real fun though so there is that but if I were going to put in a 100 mile day the CRF wins hands down.

ii mean i wasnt a 250 2t, but people say you have to do 4t topends like once a year and barings,,,,,,wich is harder than a 2t topend...

KDX200/220.

old CR250 Would be like taking a top fuel truck 4x4ing. trust me i have tried.. my friend has an 89 cr250 all hopped up for mx tracks. hit the pipe and its like you see God.

It sounds like he is saying that the 89 CR250 is not suitable for what you what to use it for and that the transition from no power to hitting the power band is sudden and pretty full on...:bonk:

A '89 CR250 was known to be a great bike amongst the competition of the year. Seems odd that you'd compare the two as I'm sure the CRF asking price is much higher. Given the range of cost difference it seems you could consider more than just these two?

It sounds like he is saying that the 89 CR250 is not suitable for what you what to use it for and that the transition from no power to hitting the power band is sudden and pretty full on...:bonk:

bingo.

get a KDX200/220 and be happy.

CR250 is a sweet bike. just not on tight technical trails

Depends on the year of the CR. The 02-07 have electric smooth motors with great handling too. :bonk:

he was talking about the 89. nothing electronic.

what the hell did you just say?

I think he said "hit the pipe and its like you see God "

:naughty: --- take it easy there White Christmas

(oh, but if you were actually talking about bikes, then i guess you get a pass )