Sign in to follow this  

1984 CR 125R. First Honda, help me out.

So my brother in law picked up a 1984 CR 125R for free. He hasnt ridden dirt bikes before so he brought it over to my house so we can fix it up.

Where is a good place to get parts, any tips or tricks? Any help would be appreciated.

I am familiar with working on two strokes, and I think this is going to have to be a complete teardown. Bad: it has an 01 seat on it and no plastics, no air box and no compression, both levers are shaped like circles and the clutch perch is non existent. Good: forks do not leak, frame is nice, shock works well, has original fuel tank, swingarm is nice, nice tires and the carb looks to be in good shape.

Thanks.

Edited by ohioktm125

The worse:

1984 CR125 have water pump covers made of magnesium that will corrode through, causing coolant to enter the gear box.

Search the archive for various fixes and NEVER use water based coolant and drain the coolant after riding.

Awesome, thanks I will check that out. I am planning to pull this thing completely apart.

I forgot to mention that whats left of the shifter is welded to the shift shaft.

I like old Honda's don't get me wrong, but to fix this bike up (from the sounds of it anyway) the right way you're going to be spending a couple hundred bucks-no way around it. The cost of a good running mid-late 90's 125 is around $1K so its one of those "is it worth it?" type of things. If you're ok with that...

Pull the water pump cover and impeller then check for corrosion. If it is NOT corroded through: Pull the bike down to the frame and start there* Replace the wheel bearings, re-grease the suspension linkage, steering stem bearings, brake lever pivot and the two pivot pins on the rear brake drum. Lube the cables, and even though the carb looks clean I'd go through every inch of the it too. Lightly grind off the weld on that shift lever. Once the weld is gone it should slide off--hopefully. I would highly recommend going through the shock and forks and changing the oil in both.

No compression and no air box could mean it was riden like that for awhile. Pull the toped and check to make sure ALL the crank/rod bearings are within tolerance. If they are have a reputable shop help you with a fresh hone/bore and a new piston and rings. I'd recommend HONDA brand gaskets for the top end.

The seat and airbox etc are going to be Ebay items for sure. They are out there but you have to be patient. Things like air filters, cables, levers/perches, bars etc can be easily found in the aftermarket.

Things I'd recommend are a torque wrench (really easy to ruin expensive parts without one) and a good service manual.

One thing is for sure. If you take your time and do it right you'll have a bike you can be proud of and one that will draw some attention. There are few things sexier than a bright orange 80's Honda :bonk:

There are a lot of guys here (myself included :smirk:) that would love to see a pics of a buildup either in this forum or the vintage forum. If you start a thread you can get help as you go.

Andrew

I have an 84 CR 250, and love it. I have extra parts that I may or may not need, but a water pump cover and impeller is sitting in my barn waiting for the inevitable. Ebay is best for parts, some still exist new, I found them at DGY.com. Good luck!

I like old Honda's don't get me wrong, but to fix this bike up (from the sounds of it anyway) the right way you're going to be spending a couple hundred bucks-no way around it. The cost of a good running mid-late 90's 125 is around $1K so its one of those "is it worth it?" type of things. If you're ok with that...

Pull the water pump cover and impeller then check for corrosion. If it is NOT corroded through: Pull the bike down to the frame and start there* Replace the wheel bearings, re-grease the suspension linkage, steering stem bearings, brake lever pivot and the two pivot pins on the rear brake drum. Lube the cables, and even though the carb looks clean I'd go through every inch of the it too. Lightly grind off the weld on that shift lever. Once the weld is gone it should slide off--hopefully. I would highly recommend going through the shock and forks and changing the oil in both.

No compression and no air box could mean it was riden like that for awhile. Pull the toped and check to make sure ALL the crank/rod bearings are within tolerance. If they are have a reputable shop help you with a fresh hone/bore and a new piston and rings. I'd recommend HONDA brand gaskets for the top end.

The seat and airbox etc are going to be Ebay items for sure. They are out there but you have to be patient. Things like air filters, cables, levers/perches, bars etc can be easily found in the aftermarket.

Things I'd recommend are a torque wrench (really easy to ruin expensive parts without one) and a good service manual.

One thing is for sure. If you take your time and do it right you'll have a bike you can be proud of and one that will draw some attention. There are few things sexier than a bright orange 80's Honda :bonk:

There are a lot of guys here (myself included :smirk:) that would love to see a pics of a buildup either in this forum or the vintage forum. If you start a thread you can get help as you go.

Andrew

One small correction, not a couple hundred....a couple thousand. That would be to get it ridable. 3+ thousand to do a restoration. I love the 80's honda's but IMO unless you are an enthusiast of the bike, you may want to look into buying a newer used bike if you want something to ride.

I had a basket case 84 cr 125 that I restored and rode the crap out of. Bought the bike for 100 bucks. I invested another 1400 into it. I did all the work myself (except for the machine work) I ended up selling it for 600 after blowing the top end for the 3rd time. Its a great bike if you have the patience.

BTW nothing from any other year will fit on it. Nothing. Especially from a bigger bike of the same year. Correction, only the side plastics, seat, and suspension. from the 84 series will fit. No motor parts or the gas tank, or radiator cowlings.

good luck

2011-03-04081344.jpg

Thought Id throw in some of my old bikes. This one is the 250

Image032.jpg

and my 125

Image031.jpg

and my latest endevour, my 85 XR 350

2011-10-19123634.jpg

I just love showing them off. :bonk: